Chapter 29 | The test

You felt like you were watching an action movie or something, but in reality it was the livestream coming from chief yagami's car. Misa and and Light in the back seat asking what was going on.

L had set this rather strange test up, if either of them still had their power they'd attempt to kill Lights dad in order to survive. There of course wee measures in place for the chief to get away safely if it did happen, but this wouldn't determine for sure weather they currently had their powers. Ryuk watched over your shoulder at the scene, having given you no information on who the person currently acting as Kira was just before this, you were a bit salty at him.

Combine that with the fact he has zero personal space and was practically leaning down to your height and breathing down your neck to watch, you were finding this situation a bit uncomfortable.

The taskforce and L all watched the screen intensely to see what would happen.

Just as planned, chief yagami pulled over. He explained the fake story to the suspects, and when he pulled out his gun with no bullets they both panicked. He was still alive, still safe. And the two in the back seat looked genuinely scared and had no signs of a plan to use their power. You'd admit that when the gun went off, you flinched at bit at the loud bang.

But that right there proved that the Kira power, had been passed on to someone else.

"Fuck..." you muttered under your breath, now realising you were back at square one.

"Fuck indeed..." L sighed back.

"What a performance, very entertaining" Ryuk laughed behind you.

He was really getting too close, you wanted to seat him away but with the taskforce in the room you couldn't. As L talked to the chief over the speakers about the situation and where they'd go from here, you got up and walked out onto the balcony. The train of your long dress dragging behind you as you went.

"Damnit now we need to find ANOTHER Kira..." you sighed to yourself.

If only you knew more about that book. Ryuk wouldn't tell you anything, and all you did know was touching the paper in lights wallet, probably from the book itself was what made you see Ryuk. How the book worked or what exactly it was you had no idea. It didn't help that you had no idea what was going on with the second Kira's shinigami since you couldn't see it. You hoped Misa may have some of the same paper hidden away somewhere you could touch to unlock that ability.

Looking out at the city below you, you couldn't help but feel a bit useless since all this progress had taken a big step backward. The door opened and closed behind you and L leaned up on the railing next to you.

"Well... now what..?" He sighed.

"We find whoever has the power now I guess" you replied.

"But we know for fact that Light and Misa have been Kira before. And are likely the ringleaders of all this, Ryuk is proof. Even if they're not killers now they're still killers, they took lives"

"Unless you can somehow figure out a way to take a photo of Ryuk and show it to everyone as proof, I'm afraid we have to wait until we find some actual visible evidence of that"

Your husband seemed understandably annoyed, all his work had gone backward after all...

"Damnit if only this didn't involve the supernatural, then I could have solved it in a matter days. In a normal case there's a killer, a victim and a weapon. If we can't even prove that weapon exists the whole case is essentially broken" L scoffed.

"No one else would have taken this case. After that Interpol meeting multiple counties backed out remember? You're the only one taking it seriously, who else would do it?" You replied.

"As interesting as it is, it's almost impossible to prove... even missing persons that seemingly vanish into thin air have some kind of tangible evidence like a cell phone tower ping or security footage, this though..."

You wrapped an arm around your pouting partner, having him rest his head on your shoulder.

"We'll figure it out daring, one way or another" you assured.

"We might have to go to some extreme lengths to do so" L replied.

"This is the one case where I'll say the end will justify the means. It's either thousands of people die or we take a few loopholes and those save people. When the supernatural is involved everything changes..."

Placing a kiss on your cheek and wrapping you up in a hug, L sighed. In his eyes this setback is viewed as a loss on his end. He'd always thought that being set back meant he'd gotten something wrong even if it wasn't the case. No doubt he'd be all depressed about it for a while.

L was often calm and collected, but if you push to many of his buttons he gets agitated and snappy. Take the great monopoly tantrum of 1999 for example.

So this setback on top of having to work with and pretend to be friends with Light for the next few months was bound to make him fed up with everyone's bullshit. At least he could get a few days off working to move everyone into the new taskforce building, and once that was done there was that night alone you promised him. Hopefully that'd loosen him up a little.

"When this is over, and after that second honeymoon you promised me, we should stay back at wammys for a while. Spend some time picnicking in your dads graveyard, pick some grapes from the winery. After this I need a break from cases" he said.

"Sounds like a wonderful plan, I have been craving those grapes recently. I dunno what they do to them to get them that sweet but that winery is amazing" you replied.

"Oh I know. Remember when we were 12 and we picked some grapes for the spring and that year they were so big and sweet we ate three whole bunches in one sitting?"

"I felt so sick afterwards but it was so worth it"

"Your dad had to come get us because we'd lost track of time and a funeral was starting soon"

"Oh yeah! I had to rush back to put my funeral dress on"

Reminiscing about your childhood together seemed to be something you did often, having so many sweet memories together among the graves of your fathers land. A young morbid girl and boy showing up at each others doorsteps asking to come play, blossoming into a marriage so close knit you were like two skeletons in a crypt. Truly a beautiful memory.

When this mess of a case was over you couldn't wait to spend time at home again. As interesting as this case was and the whole shinigami thing fascinating you, it was also stressful and horribly frustrating.

And it'd only get more frustrating from here.

"So... how are you going to keep Light under watch?" You asked.

"At first I thought about handcuffing myself to him-"

"Don't you dare" you cut in.

"-but then I realised that'd be a problem for us since you know, married. Married people need to spend time together with no third wheels..."

"Good"

"I think I'll chain one of his feet to a very long chain that can be locked and unlocked to a hook on the floor so he doesn't leave the room. There'll always be someone watching him and cameras throughout the whole building. And Misa will stay on her floor expect for when she goes to work where Matsuda will watch her" L explained.

It did sound a bit excessive, but so was handcuffing yourself to him. Just because they no longer had their power, didn't mean they weren't still threats. They were still criminals after all.

"Well, it's better than having my husband handcuffed to a sketchy guy we both hate. Have fun pretending to be friends" you teased.

"Oh god don't remind me. If his dad wasn't in this case rest assured I'd be cussing that sketchy khaki wearing asshole out..."