I Think You'd Like Music

"Hey Peter - do you wanna grab lunch from that restaurant, Eureka? Heard they've got some killer Mac N Cheese."

Peter half-heard that Li-Mei had just asked him a question because he was trying to get rid of a virus on some kid's laptop and it was proving to be a hard task.

"Could you bring this back tomorrow?" Peter sighed in frustration, shutting the laptop and handing it back to the boy, who seemed equally as frustrated. "I'll be in for my last shift at like three-ish."

As the boy muttered a less than sincere thank-you, Peter started shoving things from his desk into his bag.

"And no, Li Mei - I can't go to lunch. I have an exam in like thirty minutes."

"Um...okay." Li Mei said, failing to hide the disappointment in her voice. "I mean...good luck. Sure you'll kill it."

Peter wasn't listening again.

"Peter." Li Mei said, again louder. She put her hand on his shoulder quickly to get his attention and he turned abruptly to look at her.

"Are you okay?" she asked seriously, twisting the end of her immaculately-done braid.

"Yeah - I'm fine." Peter nodded, finally exhaling. It kinda felt like he couldn't breath for the last two minutes. "I'm just...nervous for the stupid Statics exam and I need to do well."

"I get it." Li Mei said, smiling slightly. "Anyway...I guess I'll grab lunch at my sorority instead. See you, Peter."

"Uh - Li Mei?" Peter asked, as she stopped in her tracks again.

"What's up?"

"I'm sorry...about the whole Sutton thing." Peter said. "He shouldn't have led you on like that."

Li Mei kind of laughed.

"It's whatever, Peter." she shrugged. "You don't have to apologize because he's inherently a dick. Guess I'll just talk to him never."

"Talking to him never sounds good." Peter replied.

Peter glanced at his watch again as Li Mei disappeared through the doors, throwing his bag over his shoulder. Pretending like this exam was the only thing making him freak out right now was hard.

He looked up slightly and made some lousy eye-contact with Miles, who had been answering emails on his computer for the past couple hours and shooting Peter and Li-Mei weird glances.

Peter tried hard not to roll his eyes and logged off of his own computer just as he heard Miles call his name in a not-so-quiet voice. Peter was glad no one else was really paying attention.

"Just wait a second..." Miles said, walking over to Peter with his hands in his pockets and running a hand through his hair like he had all day.

"Can I talk to you?" Miles said, finally lowering his voice.

Peter sighed again and decided this was not a good time to lose his shit.

"Is this important cus I need to get to my final-"

"Yeah, yeah - it'll only be a couple minutes." Miles said. "We can go into Michael's office - he's not in right now."

"Yeah - okay." Peter said, trying not to sound pissed off again and following Miles into the office.

Peter shut the door behind them and just watched as Miles casually leaned against their boss' desk and helped himself to some candy that was inside of a glass bowl.

"What - Miles?" Peter finally said, adjusting the grip of his bag on his shoulder.

He literally couldn't remember the last time he and Miles had a proper conversation. And it kind of made it worse, Peter thought, that he already knew what Miles was gonna say.