Amantes Sunt Amentes

"Guys, are you sure we don't need more snacks? It's a long flight." Ned said again, stopping in his tracks.

Like a true New Yorker, Ned was wearing some long shorts, a Twenty-One-Pilots T-shirt that had the word 'Blurryface' plastered in red on it, and an extremely light sweater.

He was going to get the shock of his life when he got back home, Peter thought.

"It's a red-eye, Ned." MJ sighed, taking an AirPod out of her ear. "So that means I'll be downing some sleeping pills so I can be knocked out for the whole flight."

"So what if it's a red eye?" Ned scoffed.

"So - we don't need snacks."

"We still need snacks, MJ." Ned said, rolling his eyes, and heading for the store anyways, before turning round to catch Peter's attention. "Watch my bag, Peter."

"For actual fuck's sake." MJ mumbled, but a smile crept into her face.

She put her AirPod back in, and sat on her carry-on, like she knew Ned was going to take his time. MJ always wore the same kind of thing when she traveled. Today, it was grey sweats, a Glossier hoodie, and her converse. Her hood was up to try and hide the fact that she hadn't brushed her hair at all.

"Guys, did I forget my...wait, no I found it. Ignore me." Gwen muttered to herself.

Gwen was too busy checking her backpack for the fourteenth time to make sure she hadn't lost her ID or phone during security to pay any attention to the snack debate. She was sporting her full green tracksuit - definitely her color - and she made the rest of them look like trash with her incredibly slicked back blonde ponytail.

Peter was too exhausted to say anything at all.

What were the odds that Peter, Gwen, Ned, and MJ were taking the same red-eye back to New York the night before thanksgiving. Well, two things happened to make those odds extremely high.

The first thing was that MJ's Dad had gotten in touch and practically begged MJ to come visit for thanksgiving. Of course, this was a huge ordeal. And MJ had first brought it up to Peter when they went out for pancakes that one night. And she said Ally and Oliver were furious that MJ's Dad would even have the nerve to keep calling her, and that they wanted MJ back in Chicago.

It was always the same bullshit from her Dad.

He missed her, he loved her, and he was sorry for everything he did to hurt her. And weirdly enough, MJ said something along the lines of she didn't want to completely fuck up her relationship with her Dad, even if he was a first degree psycho.

Peter had expressed his concerns to her about this. Not only did he absolutely despise her father's character, but he still could never forgive him for what he did to May. And he was genuinely worried about MJ being alone with him. But deep down, Peter, Ally and Oliver all knew that the only thing Walter truly cared about was MJ. So at least he had that going for him.

And Peter told MJ he would not be seeing her Dad for the entire thanksgiving weekend, and MJ had decided it was probably for the best. It's not like Peter threatened him with a knife or anything. Besides, MJ hadn't seen her Dad since she left for Chicago with Peter in Junior Year. Which was now well over a year and a half ago.

The second thing was that Peter hated flying. It was no news to anyone now, and though him and Ned had had their flights booked since the beginning of the semester, Gwen insisted that she also had to be on the same flight as him to cheer him up and distract him. Something Ned was incredibly shit at, because he was always asleep by take-off, without the help of any pills.