Chapter 21

I woke up with a start. You know when you get that feeling that something's going to happen? I knew she was coming.

I sat up but laid back down quickly, screaming with pain. My pajama pants suddenly drenched.

"Tris, what's wrong?" Tobias asked frantically.

"My water broke. Get my parents."

I heard him run down the hall.

I winced, and struggled to breath.

My parents were with me in seconds. Caleb following soon after. Tobias lifted me up and carried me to the car, Caleb carried our to-go bags that my mom had prepared for us.

Shit. "Mommy, I'm scared." I whimpered.

Tobias placed me in the backseat and sat on my left side, my mom was on my right.

"Deep breaths." My mom cooed.

She was early. Fuck. She wasn't due for like another month. (Okay when a baby is born early, you aren't suppose to give birth to it the normal way. But the other way kinda scares me so we doing it the normal way. Oh and fyi the date is December 10. Okay?)

I whimpered and groaned as a contraction passed.

I didn't want this to happen.

"Text our friends." I wheeze.

He nodded and kissed my head. "I'm going to be with you the entire time, baby."

When we arrived at the hospital, time seemed to blur. I was in so much pain, and sweating bullets.

Pain seemed to faze time, acting as if in slow motion.

Caleb and Dad waited in the waiting room.

It felt like my life was over. I had no freedom left. My days as a teenager were over. Soon I was to be a mom.

I crossed my wrists and placed them on my head, pressing down to try and stop the drums going off.

Sobs wracked my exhausted body. I was ready to give up, to wake up from what seemed to be a nightmare. Words ringing in my head;

Now and again we try
To just stay alive
Maybe we'll turn it all around
Cause' it's not too late
It's never too late

After about 17 hours of the same words, push and almost there even though I wasn't even close, my pain ended with a soft gentle cry.

"Congratulations Ms. Prior, it's a girl."

They wrapped my girl in a bundle of blankets and handed her to me.

Her eyes were wide and a bright blue, just not fogged with the grey pain mine held.

Tobias tentatively reached over and stroked her patch of soft brunette hair. It seemed to be a mixture of my color and his color.

Despite hair color, that seemed to be the only thing of his she had, and for that I am grateful.

"Can I hold her?" Tobias whispered.

I nodded and handed him the pink bundle.

"Hi pretty girl." He cooed.  A smile broke across my face and I glanced at my mom.

"Thought of a name?" She asked.

"Yeah.." I drifted off, directing my attention to the cutest sight of Tobias cuddling my baby.

My eyes met Tobias' and he smiled such a gentle, sweet smile that I instantly melted.

My dad walked in with Caleb.

The sat in chairs around my bed.

Tobias passed her to my mom.

My mom smiled at looked down with tears in her eyes, "What's her name?"

I glanced again at Tobias, "Teagan Eaton."

"Eaton?" Tobias whispered, grabbing my hand.

"Yes of course Eaton. Why not?" I whispered my eyes drooping. He smiled so widely I thought his face might snap.

"Rest, baby." He whispered, gently kissing my cheek, lulling me into a sweet slumber.