Chapter 2: Back To Work

Elena and the countess were deeply immersed in the conversation when the telephone rang.

Alcina signalled the maid to pick it up, which she did. It was Miranda, Alcina's childhood best friend, her family had moved to the states when she was eighteen. She pursued medicine and became a doctor, later meeting her husband through her work and settled there.

Alcina: 'Oh is it really her?! I must speak to her then!', Alcina jumped from her chair in utter excitement.

Miranda: 'How are you?! I've really missed you, Elena spoke to me last month and told me you've been too busy this month aswell.'

Alcina: 'I was extremely occupied, how have you been?'

Miranda: 'Oh I'm just happy to be talking to you! Here's the thing, my nieces wanted to visit Romania and after they found out about you, they asked if they can come and stay with you. If it's okay..? It's just for a month.'

Alcina: 'Yes that would be nice, I'll make sure that the castle is hospitable enough for their stay.'

Miranda: 'They'll be arriving next week. oh and do tell me about that Heisenberg, how are things between you two?'

Alcina: 'Oh yes yes, we're working together as partners now. Obligation of the assignment.'

Miranda: 'I see, is it just work related or is there something i don't know about?', she said in a teasing manner.

Alcina: 'Do you want me to hang up the phone because i will do so..'. Alcina revoked.

Miranda: 'Please don't, i was just making sure my friend still has her heart with her.'

Alcina: 'What is with you all? We have nothing in common, he and i...how can you even think of such absurdity?', Alcina responded, embarrassed by having to compare herself with a man she had no affinity with.

Miranda: 'We all just want to see you happy and...settled.'

Alcina: 'I am happy and settled.'

Miranda: 'Karl is one lucky man.'

Alcina: 'Please, let's not talk about him.' She yelled, frustrated by the comment.

They laughed and talked for a good amount of time. After a while, Alcina made sure to prepare everything for her work trip the next day. It was the first day of the week to work before their presentation in the meeting. 'Seven days should be enough for the investigation', she reminded herself.

She ordered her maid to make sure her dress was ready. Meanwhile she packed a small briefcase with notes, a pen to gather information along the way.

As the night passed peacefully, the next day called for new experiences. Karl had already arrived at the castle and was waiting for Alcina, near the carriage.

Alcina opted for an all black look, a rather conservative choice for the countess.

'I'm sorry but whose funeral is it exactly?', joked heisenberg which was not well received by Alcina. She shot daggers at him, which made Karl sit in silence throughout their journey.

The guild in question had their trading point located just a few hours farther from Karl's estate. The merchants had established their shelters, residing along their families. Like nomads, they'd travel from one place to another to find suitable clients to sell their goods to.

They were not standalone; sent by huge businesses located within the village, sent for trading to far away civilizations, covering almost half of Europe. Hence, making it a great deal which needed immediate attention.

As the two lords walked closer, the men, women and children came running as they recognized the countess from afar. It was uncommon for her to visit such places and engage with the commoners, they were dazed by her unexpected appearance.

All of the people in the crowd started praising Alcina's unique beauty. Karl smiled all the way, stealing glances whenever he could. Alcina felt unpleasant at all the unforeseen attention yet politely greeted them. Karl noticed her discomfort and backed the people away. She looked at him thankfully.

Alcina started the interrogation from the head merchant about their side of the story. 'There is a clan here, called the Dark Shadows.. They've been causing hindrance in our travels beyond the boundary, specially at night time.'

'Have you informed your company about it? What did they suggest?', inquired the countess.

'For now, we haven't been advised about our next step. We were told you would help us advance further.'

Alcina turned to face Karl, 'I believe we should convey this information to the council and let them decide what to do next.'

'Or we could take the matters in our hands, i know some people, a tribe that i trained, they deal with such matters. They'll accompany me there and we'll talk to them one-on-one.' Karl proposed.

'I couldn't disagree with you more, why do you plan to carry out such barbaric acts? Aren't you aware of the consequences?,' argued Alcina.

He took the liberty of leaning close to her ear and whispered, 'Are you worried for me?,' then gave a smirk.

Shock crossed Alcina's face and her body froze, glaring at him in silence to make him realize he did something wrong.

Karl as oblivious as he was about his action, told the merchants to not worry about anything and that they'll be helped soon. With that Alcina and Karl sat in the carriage, the former visibly upset at Karl.

'Are you angry with me?', asked Karl, his tone reflecting distress.

'You'll always do what you feel right, my opinion does not seem to make a difference.'
She continued, 'Furthermore, do not come that close to me next time and that's a warning.'

Karl did not expect Alcina to retort in such an extreme manner. He looked at her with sadness in his eyes, wishing he could disappear at the moment.

Karl had tried to be softer, for Alcina. He wasn't known to be like that, and much to his dismay, she muzzled his efforts each time he tried to come near her.

The rest of the journey ended in a reticent silence as if the two were complete strangers to each other. Alcina had renounced to open up her heart for anyone, Karl was no exception.

'As the Countess of Castle Dimistrescu, I'm grateful for your company to achieve our common goal', she left saying that, though the cold in her voice betrayed her eyes. Karl stayed there motionlessly for a few minutes where she left him.

Not knowing they were being overlooked by Elena, who figured out something had gone wrong.

'Mi'lady, is everything alright?', asked Elena. Alcina responded instantly, 'I'd like to sleep now and I want no disturbance until i call you myself.' she said coldly and left for her chambers.

Karl was sure he was feeling something for the lady. He could feel it in his heart. Her presence, her smile, her voice echoing in his mind. He stood outside on the balcony, gazing the stars. 'Maybe it was better if we stayed apart..like before', he wondered.

Alcina had her reasons to hide behind the walls she created. She appeared to be cold and rude only to hide what she really felt. It was not easy for her to surrender to a feeling she had closed off for so long.