23 - My Kind of Woman

| My Kind Of Woman |

Diane took a deep breath as she knocked on the door of the boys' dorm, which she hadn't stayed in for weeks. When she heard a faint 'come in!', she opened the door and peeked in.

James was hanging upside-down from the side of his bed, immersed in reading a letter. Remus was levitating lots of tissues around him and Peter, both laughing like little children. Her eyes turned to the ebony-haired boy sat on the floor, playing chess with James' upside-down head.

Diane cleared her throat and watched as all of them turned to her, Sirius' eyes wider than the rest.

"Lynx!" Peter yelled sarcastically, biting back a laugh. "Oh, what in Merlin's name could you possibly be here for? You haven't come up here in days!" the boy continued to exclaim in an overly-dramatic tone that sent James and Remus into quiet sniggers.

"Oof!"

And Peter was hit roughly by a red pillow, slamming him back on the bed. It was Sirius, who looked back down at his chess board with pink cheeks, just as James' knight smashed his queen. He groaned loudly and covered his face in his hands.

"If Peter doesn't mind, I'd like to talk to Padfoot for a moment."

Sirius' head snapped up, eyes wide and cheeks still pink. "N-now?"

Diane's eyes softened. "Please."

He looked around the boys, who were all pleading him to go with their eyes. He sighed defeatedly, getting up and shuffling towards the open door held by Diane.

As they walked down the stairs to the warmly lit common room, Sirius looked back at her in silent question. She shook her head, grabbed his hand in hers and lead him out of the portrait hole. His hand burned where she touched him. He felt the coldness of metal on his palm; his mood ring.

They found themselves near the beech tree next to the Black Lake, the sun shining above them and a slight breeze sweeping by. The sound of the rippling water and the echoes of singing Merpeople were the only things that could be heard. The morning's warmth spread an instant feeling of comfort through the both of them, and Sirius tightened his grip on Diane's hand, moving his thumb up and down her hand.

Once they had sat down facing each other, Sirius leaning on the tree, Diane cleared her throat and smiled awkwardly. Sirius looked away and started picking at the grass beside him, black hair falling and slightly covering his pale face.

"Well," Diane started. "How have you been?" She was going to drown herself in this lake, who starts like that?

"Er— I'm doing good, yeah." he nodded, eyebrows drawn together in confusion at her choice of words.

"Really? Because I sure as hell haven't been 'good' lately," she replied calmly.

"Why on earth would I be doing anything but good?" he mumbled sarcastically, ripping grass from the ground.