6 - The Adults Are Talking

| The Adults Are Talking |

The remorse Diane felt that morning was too much for James to handle. After waking up at 11 in the morning with a pounding headache, he had endured 2 hours of his twin sister babbling and mumbling about how she felt that Sirius did too much for her, how she intruded on his privacy, how he went and got her clothes from her dormitory and let her sleep on his bed.

  "Lynx, bloody hell, would you just- shut up for a minute?" he finally blurted.

   "No, Prongs, I cannot 'shut up'! You know why? Because I have crossed a line with my best friend and I don't know how I'm going to face him again!" she stressed dramatically in a hushed voice as James, Remus, Peter and her sat in their favourite spot, under the beech tree by the Black Lake.

  "Lynx, calm down. I'm sure Pads was happy to help you," chimed in Remus, finally, rubbing his head, the hangover still present.

"Of course he'll tell you that! He won't say he wasn't happy to help me," retorted Diane, starting to lose her voice.

  "Where is Padfoot, anyway?" asked Peter, finally looking up from the charms essay he was working on.

"He has detention with Filch," replied Remus, his nose nearly touching the Potions homework he was finishing. "He should be done by now, though,"

"Wait, he has detention? What did he do that I wasn't there for?" asked James, looking offended and very much betrayed.

"I think he was caught in a broom closet with a Hufflepuff after 9," Remus answered immediately.

"Of course he was."

   All three boys' head snapped towards Diane, a question on the tip of Remus' tongue, when Sirius sauntered over to them.

"Hello boys," he greeted. "And girl." he threw a charming smile at Diane. The girl, however, smiled but avoided his eyes, which he immediately noticed, knitting his eyebrows together in confusion, as he sat down cross-legged next to James.

The stag animagus was playing with his prized golden snitch, letting it fly away from him for a few feet and the stretching out to get it back. He ruffled his hair, making it messier than it already was, a 'bad habit of his', Diane had called it.

"Oi, Pads, we have the Slytherin match tomorrow, so no messing around in broom closets this evening, yes?" smirked James, teasingly, as he nudged Sirius with his elbow. Remus rolled his eyes, and surprisingly, so did Peter.

   "Sure, Prongs. Lynx, what's wrong?" he asked softly, making Diane turn towards him hesitantly.

  "Nothing is wrong! What's made you think something is wrong?" Diane replied in a cheery voice, however she still didn't meet his eyes.

James smacked his forehead, causing Sirius to turn around and give him a "what the hell?" look. Then, he turned back around to Diane, who was getting up, most likely to awkwardly slink away from this uncomfortable situation.