Epilogue: Forever and Always

Start from the beginning

I had nothing else with me, my only companion is myself. Atyets needs to know about this. The cold city of Moscow was dreaded with the news. Long painful hours, I waited for my father to come. Rescue teams and investigators were the first ones to arrive. There was still hesitation to approach any of them.

"Atyets!" I ran towards a tall man in business suit. Mamushka always told me my facial features resemble my father. As a child, I cared less. Our relationship couldn't be saved by such statement. Only my mother was the string that held us together.

His eyes darted at me. For the first time, I saw relief in his eyes.

"Where's your mother?" He asked.

Frightened, I couldn't cry in front of him. "I don't know."

With forehead even creased, he lowered to level with me. He was taller. Mother always say I should eat more to be as tall as the man in front of me.

"How can you not know? I told you, you should always be her protector." The words were firm, it was messing with my head.

"Aren't you the one that should protect her always?" A stinking poison that left my mouth easily. The next thing that happened, I never prepared myself. Those weren't the words from my father, but hurts the same. The side of my lip bled instantly.

A part of what he said would always haunt me, I failed to protect her. I should have been with her when she asked me to an ice cream parlor. I shouldn't have declined the dessert.

It boils down to one person responsible --- my father. If he showed up to my play, I wouldn't feel mad towards everything. He was a failure as I was.

The search for my mother continued, she was never found in the vicinity of Moscow. Days turned into weeks that turned into months. Long horrible months.

Everyone was giving up to find her, but I would never. I would never let her down again. I knew, she was out there, trying to hold on a bit of hope just like what I was doing. My mother is my only treasure.

"Why are they leaving?" I asked my father. The people he hired to look for mamushka was already packing their things up. They were in the front yard, the vehicles were ready to go. My eyes squinted. "What are they doing?"

"The search operation was closed, Khromov." The man whom I called father told me in a serious tone.

"What the fuck? Why?"

I never took drugs to feel what it does to the body, the adrenaline was pumping in my bloodstream hearing those words I dreaded to hear. I looked at him incredulously. Had he lost his mind? Had he given up too? To the woman he vowed to protect and care, to the woman he told he love until the end of time, he gave up that easy.

"Don't curse in front of me, young man." I ignored his threat.

"Why? I thought, there was a lead. Why are you stopping the men from finding out where mamushka is? We are rich, father! We can find her!"

I blow up the cover. I heard my father talking to the chief, they were talking about the lead. An organization. This was all rooted to unresolved problem before. I also heard that whoever has my mother was powerful and couldn't be undermined.

My father sighed. It was a long one, his burdens and worries came out. "We are noble people, Khromov. We have dignity. We would never resort to any type of violence. That's what he want. That's what he always is."

Tears flowed to my cheeks. I wouldn't understand what he was trying to tell me. All I care about is my mother that could be dying from now. I was not accepting defeat that easy, they didn't even try so much. It was the least they could do.