☙ Chapter Five

As the hour for lunch drew to a close, more possibilities opened up with our afternoon classes. The schedule UA structured out gave students all the periods after lunch to be used for their assigned courses. While Hero students would be practicing to save the world and Business students did. . .taxes, or something, we Support kids would work on the first assignment Professor Q would give us.

    My peers and I moved back into the 1-H homeroom and sat behind our desks as the professor hurried into class. He fixed up his lab coat and ran a hand through the hair that ignored gravity, then positioned himself in front of his class.

    "I'm sure most of you are curious about your new class project, and I don't mean to cudgel your brains wondering what it could be, so I'll make this brisk." Q stepped behind his desk to grab a hold of a pull-down poster that explained everything he said in cartoon visuals.

    "The first assignment I have will be a collaboration exercise pairing you all with the Heroics class 1-A." Q pointed a ruler to the simple graphics, and I didn't know if I liked where this was going or not. Q's announcement continued, "Working alongside Pro Heros is something all of you scallywags will have to master in your near future. Class A's teacher and I both agree that a fun and educational project for you all will be the task to design and create functional hero costumes! If that's not zesty buoyancy, then I'm not sure what is!"

    While Q was over the moon about his 'buoyancy', most of the class wasn't so excited. It was no hidden secret that the kids in support weren't close with the kids in either of the hero classes. On the first day, a rumor went around that said one of my classmates even took a swing at a kid from 1-A after some choice words were said about us 'extras'. However, Professor Q had a point: if we wanted to make it in the Support Industry, we had to learn to work with people who knew they were better than us.

    Q explained a little bit more about our assignment before dismissing the class outside where we'll meet our designated Heros. Most of the class started heading down, and I almost followed behind until I realized I would need more than just my head to keep notes in. It was likely the person I would be assigned to would have some sort of complex hero Quirk, so I dug through my backpack for a pad of paper I didn't already write through. When I got a hold of it and my new whiteboard, I could start heading outside. That is if a certain someone didn't block my path.

    Just my luck that Siri Remata had nothing better to do with her time than make my life hell. The blue-haired girl stood at the end of my desk with her arms crossed and her bright eyes targeting me. A thought in the back of my head told me she wouldn't notice if I just inched towards the door a few feet away, but I was more sure there was something she had to tell me that I wouldn't get out of.

    I looked around either side of my shoulders in hopes of finding someone to share the wrath of this girl, only to come across empty desks and chairs. Unsure of what to tell her, I shrugged and waited for Siri to say something.

    "Don't get confident. This is the first test of the year, and it'll point out the strongest and the weakest kids in the class," she told me, sending a glare to emphasize she already knew who here was the stronger one.

    Not wanting to waste ink writing down some retort to her nonsense, I took another look to find anyone else to handle this. I was thankfully reassured I wouldn't have to fight this battle alone when I caught a glimpse of Double's dusty orange hair at the doorway. Snake and Dani followed him inside as I moved to stand closer to them and further from my bully.

    "What's going— What's going on?" Double asked. I could tell he was trying hard to get that short sentence out without breaking up.

    Remata looked more aggravated with my friends' arrival than before. However, she still kept the effort to try and trash talk us. "I'm just making sure Poltergeist here knows who's going to have the best design in the class project," she said confidently. "Hero costumes are normally equipped with gadgets, which I happen to advance in. So, watch your backs."