Sighing, I placed the brush on the table as my eyes fell on the familiar photo frame kept near the edge of the dressing table. My fingers brushed against the glass as I took in the appearance of the figures displayed on the picture. My parents. My father was standing beside my mother with his hands protectively wrapped around her waist. Her silky raven-black hair was braided with a beautiful glow enhancing it. She was wearing a simple knee-length skirt with a tube top along with an embroidered shrug. Her outfit complimented perfectly her dark skin- such a natural beauty. On the other hand, my father was completely opposite- light porcelain skin with dark brown hair. His brown eyes were focused on my mother as she was grinning widely in the picture.

I miss them. They died in an accident when I was just six. Having no other relatives to take up the guardian position, I was raised in an orphanage. I wouldn't say that my life was very hard there, but yeah, it wasn't a bed of roses either.

I blinked my eyes a few times, wiping off the tears. Taking my backpack, I carelessly flung it across my shoulder as the doorbell rang. Looks like Chloe is here. Well, you see, Chloe is my best friend. We have known each other for eight years, and she's one of the few people I usually hang out with.

I shut my door, locking it as I gave Chloe a tight hug. "Chloe, you are late. Where were you?"

"Traffic, You know about the traffic conditions here in L.A. already."

"Okay, let's hurry now, I have Mr. Clark's class from 8."

"He's such a pain in the ass."

"Indeed," I replied as I got into the car to leave for college.

***

The day in college passed in a haze, and currently I'm sitting in the cafeteria with a mug of coffee and a book of symbols I found in the library. Maybe I'll find something about the dagger. A deep rumble escaped my lips as I closed the book. I completed yet another book, but nothing was found. Bending my head down and keeping it against the book, I closed my eyes.

You might be thinking why I didn't try to find the door in my bathroom. Well, I did try it once by cutting my palm and placing the blood on the wall, but nothing came out of it. The door didn't appear.

Maybe I'm thinking too much. Maybe it's just a dream and nothing much. I should just go see a psychiatrist, maybe. Whom am I kidding? You don't see the same nightmare every night for seven years.

Lifting my face up, I rummaged inside my bag as my ears caught the sound of my phone's ringtone. I looked at my screen as the familiar name flashed through it- Maverick Carter, my boyfriend.

"Hey babes, are you home?" he chirped enthusiastically as I picked up the call.

"Not yet. I'm still in the cafeteria". I replied, as I closed the zip of my bag.

"What do you mean? Don't tell me you were trying to find about those dreams again, Erna?" His tone turned flat with a hidden concern lacing his voice.

"I was. I know you told me to stop because it was taking a troll on my mental health and all, but Rick, I just can't help it. Sorry—" I sighed, closing my eyes and softening my voice, "—You do understand nah?"

"I do but truth always comes with consequences, Erna. What if the truth you are seeking, so hard for, isn't what you desired? Would you be able to handle the burden on your shoulders?" His voice rose an octave higher as I bit my lips. "Think about it Erna and you have got a shift in an hour. Just wanted to remind you." he sighed.

"I will, Rick and I'll talk to you when I get back home" I muttered. He ended up the call saying 'I love you'

Maverick loves me a lot, but do I feel the same? I like him, but I'm not sure about the love part. It's funny how a small word of just four letters holds such a big meaning. Maverick used to work in a coffee shop and that's how we met. The memory is still fresh inside my mind.