Issues and a killer

Malia

I tossed and turned all night long. The following morning, my alarm blared as I hit the snooze button. A few more minutes would hurt until my phone rang. Ugh.

I fumbled with my phone and put it against my ear. "Hello?"

Good morning, Sunshine.

"Damon, do you want me to hurt you?"

Well, who will keep you and Luka from killing each other?

"You have a point."

Get your ass out of bed and head to the station. The Chief wants a meeting with us.

"How did you know I was still in bed?"

Because we've been partners for the past ten years, I've had to drag your ass out of bed. Plus, I'm standing outside your house with coffee.

"You had me at coffee."

Damon chuckled as I slid out of bed. I padded to the front door, opened it, and waved Damon inside. He handed me a coffee. I took it and went to shower. After showering, I dressed, then left went Damon.

We both pulled up to the station and parked our cars.

Damon looked over the roof of his car. "Play nice."

I rolled my eyes. Damon chuckled as we went into the station.

"Where's the Chief?" Damon asked Charlie.

"He's waiting for you stragglers." Charlie gave me a knowing look.

I shook my head. We walked to Dad's office and entered to find Luka sitting in Dad's office with Dad.

"I see that you found your way to work," Dad said.

"It's been a rough morning." I sat down in a chair.

Damon leaned against the file cabinet.

"Well, your morning will get rougher. I received this a few days ago." Dad handed me an envelope.

I took it, removed the contents, then read the letter. After finishing, I placed the letter back into the envelope and handed it back to Dad.

"I don't understand. Why does the Lakewood Serial Killer want to meet me?"

"He won't reveal any information unless he meets you."

"But last night has nothing to do with the Lakewood Serial Killer. It could be a random act."

"I already contacted the prison about the correspondence. The Lakewood Serial Killer is in solitary confinement. He's a danger to society, and I don't want you to interact with him."

I nodded. Dad discussed the murder case with us. He was ruling it a random, isolated incident unless another murder happened.

After our meeting, Dad had Damon and me show Luka the cold case files. I didn't know why since the cold cases were petty crimes.

"How many cold cases are there?" Luka asked, peeking into storage boxes.

"Too many," Damon said.

Luka noticed the storage box sitting on the table. He lifted the lid, pulled out a file, and flipped through it. "This file is about the Lakewood Serial Killer." He glanced at us.

"I was looking for a clue when someone attacked me."

Luka's face snapped in my direction. "Someone attacked you?"

"It happened one night after I had dinner with Abby. The person whispered. Curiosity killed the cat."

Luka's brows knitted.