Pt 5: Something About This One

~~~Vicrul~~~

"He's going to kill her."

Vicrul sat back and watched as the rest of the Knights deliberated over the fate of the girl. His mask tightly clasped around his face, jaw tight, hands loosely tracing the edges of his scythe as he slouched in the pilots chair of the Buzzard, observing the Knights gathered round the table. Drinks in hand, cards on the table.

"No," Cardo responded to Ap'lek's thought on the matter. "He's going to keep her around."

"Keep her around?" Trudgen chimed in, "I'm sorry have you met Master Ren before? His prisoners never last more than a week," he added, taking another swig of his drink.

Vicrul would be lying if he said he hadn't wondered what would happen to the assassin himself. He knew his Master better than the rest of them, better than anyone he liked to think, but since the girl had found  her way into their paths, Master Ren had been unreadable to him. His actions no longer predictable. Vicrul didn't care for it. He liked to know what was going on in Ren's head. Anticipate his actions to help better his responses to them, and he was growing more agitated with every day that went past, not having the faintest of ideas as to what Master Ren had in store for the girl.

"There's something about this one," Cardo continued, playing another hand of cards. "I mean it's been three days since he interrogated her and we haven't even seen him."

Ushar stood and waltzed over to the drinks station, empty bottles littering the countertop of the Buzzard's armoury that doubled up as a semi living space for the Knights and their master. He grabbed another bottle, using his teeth to open it, chugging almost half of it down before sinking back into his seat.

"She'll be dead within a month that's for sure. No matter what he found out, he's not going to let her live with how close she got to getting the job done."

"I'm with Ushar. She won't last long." Kuruk announced as he appeared at the top of the stair way, grabbing a drink on his way in as he tossed his mask onto the table.

"Where have you been?" Vicrul's serious tone a stark contrast to the slightly intoxicated group of masked men.

"Looking for Ren." Kuruk responded, perching on the edge of the armoury, eyes landing on Vicrul at the other end of the room.

"Any luck?" Ap'lek asked, tossing in another hand of cards.

"No, checked his quarters, the command shuttle, the throne room. I even went to the command centre. No sign of him."

"Did you check the interrogation room?" Cardo playing his hand before chugging the rest of his drink.

"Hey no no no that's cheating." Ushar protested.

"No." Kuruk responded.

"How is that cheating?" Cardo responded.

"You know damn well how that's cheating!" Ushar started, raising his voice.

Vicrul gritted his teeth. His head starting to ache.

"You're insane if you think that's cheating."

"Oh fuck you Cardo."

"Check the command centre again," Vicrul spoke, closing his eyes and leaning his head back against the seat. "See if anyone knows anything. I'll check the interrogation room."