Chapter Two

I have three days till school. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. So far, my week had consisted of going to the Mattews house after Shawn and Cory get home from school. Cory is such a great friend. He's nice and funny and caring. He makes sure that Shawn is taken care of and from what I've heard, and seen he really cares for his friends and family. He also can bake and is a pretty okay cook. 
Shawn is another story. He's a playboy, and he's rude and hardly has manners. He gives no care about himself and all his care to his friends and family. He grew up rough from what I've been told. But he's amazing once you get to know him. He tries so hard to be the best friend he can be and to do the right thing even if he was raised to do the wrong thing. 
Both boys don't try as hard as they should in school. Hardly ever turning their papers in on time really messes up a grade. They know it, and ignore it... but somehow always manage to pass their classes, Shawn always barely scrapes by while Cory manages himself pretty well. I've offered to help them with homework but Cory says he has a Topanga for that?
Today, Papa George offered to go out and help me buy a bed set and a few other things to make life cozier. He took me to Macy's to buy some clothes. Mostly church and school dresses, some school supplies, jeans, and some graphic T's. "Make sure dresses go past your knees and shirts go above your color bone!" He called out as I started throwing clothes into the cart. Some he didn't approve of, most he did. 
"Can I go to the Matthews?" I asked on the way home. "They are having a dinner, Apparently Shawn's dad's back in town and they want to celebrate."
"I don't see why not." Then he pauses. "But please, stay cautious of Chet Hunter." I just nod. 

"Ella!" I hear Cory call to me when I open Papa Georges's side door. "I'll be over in a minute Cor," I tell him but he grabs my arm and pulls me into his yard. "I want you to meet some friends. This is Minkus." I shake the smaller boy's hand and smile. "I'm Carmella, Most of my friends call me Ella or El." Then I turn to Cory. "I'll be over as soon as I put this bag down." 
The party isn't big, Just the Mathews, John Turner, Me and the Hunters. Minkus had to leave to study halfway through. "Do you do well in school?" Chet asks me. "I suppose so."
"Clean record?" 
"of course sir." I watch him look around. "Boyfriend?" I get up and start inching away. "God no child, I mean for Shawny boy." I glance over at Shawn and Cory. "I don't date, I don't like distractions from my studies." He rolls his eyes. "You really are a Feeny."