Chapter 21

Dylan

Three days have passed, and my wolf had finally healed. The end of my tail and my right eye will never grow back, but that's okay; less flesh for an enemy to grab. I journeyed slowly in the direction of the Alpha House; it was only about eleven miles away. Cooper was my first target, and I was gonna make him bite it, big time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Stella

Over the past three days, Cooper had come by at noon to tell Uncle Doug and I how he and Ava were doing. I begged Cooper to let Ava stay with us, but he said no. If the werewolves catch Ava on the territory again, she will be put to death unless Alpha knows about it, and that cannot happen.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Cooper

At six in the morning, I waited on the Alpha House patio for Roxanne to deliver today's supply of food. As I sat, I was beginning to get nervous. What was taking so long?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Dominique

I woke up at six in the morning. Something was wrong, and I could feel it. After a while, I climbed out of bed. No better way to clear my head than fifteen minutes of nothing but standing on the patio.

Suddenly, I heard the soft footfalls of a sneaking creature. The footsteps were coming down the hall, directly toward the master bedroom. When the noises passed, I opened the door quietly and peered around. It was Roxanne. I thought back to our conversation three days ago.

"Roxy, I need to ask you something. What are you hiding?"

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"Your scent was in my room. I woke up to the sound of the bedroom door closing. It didn't wake Kayli, but it woke me. I found your scent everywhere in the room, eapecially by my dresser. I think you're hiding something." I studied her closely. Her features looked innocent, but I know from experience that she is one of the best fakers in Moonshadow.

She turned to me. "I left my phone in your room when I came in to borrow one of mom's dresses. I thought I left it on your dresser, but I couldn't find it, so I left before I woke you up. I thought you were still asleep."

I frowned. A couple days ago, she did borrow a dress, but her phone was on the charger. I shook my head, confused. Maybe I was confusing that with another time, but I couldn't completely believe Roxanne, no matter how much I wanted to

"Okay," I murmured, unsure what I was saying okay to. I walked out of her room without realising that I never mentioned that underlying scent, hidden beneath Roxanne's.

Now, all of my uncertain feelings toward Roxanne returned, strong as anything. As I watched, she slunk into the kitchen. She pulled out some bread, mayo, sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, and turkey.

" Making a sandwich?" I wondered to myself. My wolf, Terseus, shook his head, confused.

When she was done making the complete meals, she put them in a duffel bag. I followed her to the patio, which was where I was going anyway.

If I hadn't seen so many traumatic sights in my life, I might have passed out when I saw someone I never thought I'd see again.

"Cooper?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Cooper

I turned, shocked. "Dad?"

It didn't look like him. I had only been a month since I'd faked my death, but he looked five years older.

He flung his arms around me. "I missed you so much," he whispered, long tears running down his face.

I hugged him back. "I missed you too." I felt unbroken now, almost like I could breathe again. The secret of my 'death' was like a disease, killing me on the inside, but now I'd swallowed the antidote. I had come home.

I filled him in on everything. Seeing Ava, making my plan, getting arrested, finding out that Ava was my soulmate, everything.

"You know what this means, son," my dad told me.

"No, I don't."

"Since you found your soulmate, you need to take a test that every alpha before you had to take. The Test of the Alphas."

My jaw dropped open. Kill me now. Please.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think the Test of the Alphas is?

Vexwolf