Chapter 22

Cooper

The Test of the Alphas is a test where a serum is injected into me. The serum shuts down my wolf for an hour and a half, and it floods my mind with simulated scenes. Scenes like death, war, bullies, and stuff like that, but the catch is that the serum also numbs the part of my brain that determines what is real and what is not. So my mind is tricked into thinking that I am living these scenes, and reality fades away. I'm expected to react the way an alpha would, but like I said, I can't shift into my wolf to do it. Luckily, the part of my brain that distinguishes real from fake is only asleep for fifteen minutes.

"When do I have to test?" I asked.

My dad looked at me. "As soon as possible. Of course, you must tell your mother about your faked death."

Roxanne agreed to go fetch Ava while my dad went to wake up my mom. I'm not going to describe my 'reunion' with mom, so to speak, but I will say that there was a lot of tears and hugging.

I heard the front door open, signaling Roxanne and Ava's arrival. My soulmate looked half-asleep, but when she saw my parents, the alpha and luna, she suddenly had no problem waking up.

I introduced her to my parents. Slightly awestruck, she shook my dad's hand and hugged my mom.

"Ava, there is a test I need to take. The Test of the Alphas." I explained to her what it was and it's purpose.

She nodded."Okay. When?"

"Now."

"It's six in the morning! Are you kidding me?" Her eyes grew wide.

"Once I find my mate, I have no choice but to take it," I sighed. "Only you and Dad can be in the house for it. Mom and Roxy have to leave."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Ava

Alpha lead the way up the stairs to the testing room, while Cooper and I followed. He was nervous, his eyes wide and hands shaky.

I stopped walking and grabbed his arm. He turned. "Hey, it'll be okay," I murmured. "You'll be great." I wrapped my arms around his back and pulled him toward me.

"I'm just so... nervous," he whispered, eyes closed. "The result of this test will shape my future. If I fail the test, all of Moonshadow will know. I know this  because I've seen so many headlines of my fathers result. Plus, his score was nearly perfect, so that leaves me with huge footsteps to fill. I also know that alphas who fail are branded weak for life, and are usually murdered and disrespected by everyone."

I stood there, arms around him, just listening to him."Do what comes naturally. The outcome will be better if you do what you are best at." I was dimly aware of Alpha watching us, but I didn't care. I leaned forward and kissed Cooper gently.

He kissed back, and I could feel his worries melting. "Thanks, Ava."

"Anytime."

He kissed me again and followed Alpha into the testing room. He held the door for me. "Wish me luck."

"Good luck, Cooper. Remember, you can do it," I responded, while surveying the tiny room. It was only about fifteen by fifteen feet. There was a chair that looked kind of like those chairs that dentists have their patients use while they operate on them, but this one had a bunch of cords attached to the head rest. There was also a hi-tech computer four feet away from the chair, with various cords leading from it to the chair.

Alpha walked up to the computer. "Cooper, sit down in the chair."

My soulmate sat on the chair, peering at his dad expectantly. I sat down in a chair next to Alpha's computer.