Chapter 2

It had been a few days Avocato had been feeling as if he was being followed. He had killed a few demons since the feeling of being watched began yet he couldn't quite find the source. One could only assume he was being hunted by a demon. The hunter becoming the hunted, a quite interesting topic to be honest.

Whenever the demon hunter was camping out, eating, fighting or working on his research- the feeling wouldn't leave.
It had perhaps made the ventraxian a bit paranoid lately, always using his cross shaped sword to swing at the bushes when the feeling began to be too strong or suddenly turning around when he was in a middle of a meal.

Whatever was following him....it wasn't making a move- he could only ponder when it would.

"This should be it" he said aloud to himself as he was face to face with a sign with the name of yet another town. He would work later, for now he was sick of camping out and needed to find an Inn.

Luckily, finding somewhere to stay wasn't too hard. He had come across a tavern looking place with an inn upstairs, taking the rare opportunity to order a drink while he waited for his room to be ready.

"Here's your drink, Sir" the waitress, a quite pale green zooplop, placed a cup of whiskey in front of him, her long three trunks accidently spitting everywhere due to her lisp.
Closing his eyes and inhaling deep in order to squeeze the last drop of patience he had left- Avocato thanked her and wiped the spit off his hand with a handkerchief he carried.

Despite his the chance to relax, it seemed his work followed him anywhere he went, haunting him with gossips and whispers around the tavern.

"Apparently there's a demon around these areas"

"What? No way- those are just rumours"

"That's what I thought too but my cousin from just near the hill said his neighbour got attacked"

"Attacked? So is he survived a demon attack?"

"Yeah...though he says his neighbour has never been the same since"

"It was probably a weak demon if he survived-"

Two men talked among eachother, dissing the rumours around, unaware that the ventraxian's ears were turning towards their conversation- listening and learning.

The demon they speak of is most likely the one he is looking for, luckily enough, it's a weak one according to the others- it shouldn't make too much damage while he rests and most likely won't leave--

Suddenly, Avocato turned with hand on his sword that was hidden under his jacket, scaring the lady that had been passing by behind him. His eyes scattered the bar, looking for something but finding nothing once again- leaving him alone to wonder just how much longer would he have this feeling of eyes following him.

"Mr Avocato?" A lady called from besides him, making him turn with caution "your room key"

The lady handed him a key with a number on it, seeming not to notice Avocato examining her carefully as he slowly took the keys

"Thank you" he nodded as he stood, watching her leave before downing the whole drink.

Perhaps he was tired...Camping out all these nights, fighting demon after demon...it is sure to take some damage on your mental health.

Climbing up the stairs, the demon hunter still tried to shake off the odd feeling- he had other matters to worry about.

"This should be it" he stopped in front of the door number 13 and inserted the key- however he did not turn it just yet. His ears were perked in search for any movement from the inside, his eyes fixed on the floor for any shadows through the gap...

Perhaps it was the combination of the number itself and the feeling that has been following him recently.

"13...the number of death" he mumbled to no one in particular. The number itself had many meanings such as karma or perhaps the physical death but birth in spirit, misfortune in general...
Not to mention that in tarot cards, the number 13 is death....not that Avocato ever believed in any of those things.

After a moment, he finally unlocked the door and stepped in finding quiet peace at last when the door closed behind him- the feeling itself disappearing along.
Sighing, Avocato examined the candle lit room, hanging his coat up and removing his journal and pens from it's pockets before sitting down at the small desk.
The room was fairly simple, it had everything necessary. There was a bathroom, a bed and a deak- all Avocato could ever need.

Opening his old and worn out journal, Avocato flipped through the pages of his research. The small book was filled with notes and sketches as well some materials to showcase certain things.
There were pages on types of demons he has found and killed, pages of questions he had and later on answered himself (some yet to answer), pages of warnings, anatomy and just overall...

"Demons" he sighed when he heard a scream outside, closing down the journal with a bit of aggression

"Might as well finish the job before I sleep"