Sick

Maxwell sniffled and wiped his face. "He used me... and... he was gonna take you away..." 

   Viral rubbed one hand against Max's back. "Hey... It's okay..." He didn't know what else to say really. 

   "He doesn't really love me-" Max hiccuped burying his face in his hands. 

   Viral swallowed thickly. "Listen Maxy... I'm sure he does love you. You heard him. He's sick..." Viral did understand that part. He knew a lot about the subject actually. He read up on it when Max used to go to the library to bug Cypher or get more art books. The old Virus was what stabilized Matthew's power but in doing so it locked a lot of people away. The old Virus was bad. 

   "You see the way he looks at me! He can hardly stand me! He doesn't even hug me unless he needs me." Max wrapped his arms around himself. "Why weren't you there..?"

   Viral sighed. He was expecting this question. "Like I said, your father is sick. His power is too much for him and that's been a problem for ages...  When I'm around him it almost feels like I'm suffocating in it. It's uncontrollable and making his judgement fad. It's been unchecked since the old Virus was defeated." 

   "Is that... really bad?" 

   Viral sighed deeply. "Yeah. That's really bad. When he said he was sick he was telling the truth." 

   Max looked down at his feet and sighed. "Where are we?" 

  "Six Heros. It's a pretty new AU so its close to home." Viral muttered. 

   "Okay..."  Max went quiet. 

   There was a whoosh sound of a portal and the sound of something being knocked over. Maxwell looked up toward the sound. 

   Matthew stumbled slightly and leaned against the wall. "Maxwell. I found you. Thank stars." He sighed in relief. Black lines streaked down hsi face and reached his neck. His eye whites started to fade to black as his hands sparked uncontrollably. His portal wobbled and then practically disintegrated on itself. 

   "Get up. Get up now Max." Viral muttered. 

   Max had seen those lines before. When his father started those hugs. "Dad. Dad are you alright?" He forgot to be upset for a moment. His father looked disheveled. Messy hair and clothes stuck to his skin with sweat. He was so pale. 

   "Am I alright...?"" He wobbled on his feet again. "We were worried sick about you! You disappeared and then everyone started yelling at me-" His head spun. 

   "They yelled at you?" Max gasped. He didn't mean to start something... "I'm sorry."

   "No No I deserved it. I'm a crappy father." His vision blurred. "Max listen to me." He put both hands on Max's cheeks. "I do love you. You are my son and I love you." 

   Max's soul swelled big. "Really?" 

   Matthew managed a small smile. "Yup." His head pounded as more sparks jumped from his hands. he jerked them away from Max's face and fell backwards... Everything went black. 

   Max jumped to catch his father before he hit the ground. "Dad?! Dad?!?"