"Now why would that be a good idea?!" Their father yelled and Ashton was now doing two steps at a time.  

"I did-didn't-!" Harry was pleading but their dad cut him off.

"Oh great! It was an accident!" The sarcasm was thick. "Why the fuck were you playing with the soccer ball in the house anyway!"

Ashton swung the living room door open just in time to see his dad smack Harry across the side of the head. Lauren let out a little shriek and grabbed onto the back of Ashton's shirt. Her knuckles turned white at the pure tightness of her grip.

Ashton's whole body froze. This is what Harry was supposed to be protected from. It was Ashton's job to protect him until they were able to leave. But he couldn't. He should've known that. He should've known he wouldn't be able to stop his dad. No one can stop him from being the evil, cruel motherfucker he is.

"Stupid boy." Ashton dad shook his head and tears began to stream down Harry's face as he held his hand against his head.

Ashton's mom was at the door behind Ashton now, beside Lauren. She was holding onto Lauren's shoulders gently.

Ashton's dad's head whipped around to the three of them at the door. "What are you all gapping at?"

Ashton caught Harry's eye. That's when he was able to move.

"Hey!" Ashton barks at his dad.

It is only a smirk that his dad replies with.

Ashton takes Harry by the shoulders and crashes him into a hug. Ashton didn't want to let go. He wasn't going to let go. Ashton can hear his dad chuckling. Ashton looks over his shoulder at Lauren. She is trying to fight back tears, Ashton can tell. Ashton gives her a little nod and she nods back, tearing herself away from her mom, who just let her go. Ashton crouches down in front of Harry.

"Go to Lauren." Ashton says quietly.

Harry's eyes widen in fear. "He hit me."

"Go to Lauren." Ashton repeats.

Harry looks once more at their dad who is just shaking his head. Harry nods at Ashton and runs out the room. A little sob coming from him as he goes.

Ashton slowly stands up and faces his dad. The anger mixed with the adrenaline in Ashton's veins right now made him more confident and totally done with his dad and this house. Everything.

"Don't," Ashton says through gritted teeth. "Hit my little brother." And with that Ashton punches his dad in the face. A gasp came from Ashton's mom as his dad stumbled backwards. He was holding his nose and Ashton was holding his fist. It hurt a lot but it was all worth it. Ashton felt his blood pumping and his heart beating so fast it might leap out his chest. It was a little bit painful.

But fuck, it felt good.

"You little bastard." Ashton was soon pulled out of his state of relief by his dad's voice. Then his dad's hand gripping his hair and pulling him onto the ground.

"Stop it!" Ashton's mom yelled as Ashton let out a little scream of pain.

"How dare you!" Ashton's dad yelled and kicked Ashton in the stomach once he was on the floor. "This is my fucking house!"

"Stop!" Ashton had his eyes closed and he was happy he did at that point because the next thing he heard was a hand smacking off something. Ashton looks up and saw his mom holding her cheek and his dad shoving her to the floor next to Ashton as he left the room. His big clunky boots hitting against the stairs as he went up them.

Ashton slowly sat up and looked over to his mom who was crying. "Mom." He said quietly, getting up and helping her too.

"I'm sorry." She whisper and hugged him. She was tall but Ashton was still taller and she cried into his shoulder. Ashton wrapped his arm around her and felt her shaking.  "I'm so sorry." She sobbed.