Memories

*REMEMBER as you read this that this is a different timeline simply bc Sarah is in it. So some of this content in this book will be different than the movies or comic or anything else Marvel- Steve Rogers/Captain America related*

"Sarah!!" Called the older woman, the woman who bore her daughters name as well. Who started her life. Kept her safe. Never left her.

"Mama!" The little girl squealed as she came running to her mother threw the tall grass. Steve is there, leaning against the large oak tree behind their mother. When the girl's small legs finally reach her mother, she jumps. Landing in her mother's arms with a laugh. 

"Careful Sarah, don't hurt mama." Steve says from his place, now on the picnic blanket.

"Sorry mama" the little girls says with a smile to her mother. 

"That's alright dear." She tells her daughter, pushing her beautiful honey colored hair back from her face. Sitting on the blanket she takes off the heels she put on before leaving the house with a sigh. 

"Mama, how come daddy didn't come with us?" Sarah asks her mother innocently. Not realising the pain it probably caused her mother. She wasn't alone in the questioning though, because although Steve Rogers was older than Sarah he was still young. Young enough to want to know where his father was. 

"Your daddy, is a very brave man." Sarah remembers her mother saying "He's a very brave man who's fighting very bad people so that nothing bad will ever happen to us." She tells the younger Sarah

"Someday, I'll be just like daddy! I'll protect everyone!" Sarah shouts into the wind

"Yeah!" Steve excalaims with her

"My very brave children." Sarah said "Come give your mother a hug" She had said. 

Sarah remembers jumping up, her small chubby legs taking a few steps before jumping onto her mother. Steve and her stayed in that position for a very long time. Holding their mother, as their mother holds them. 

That was the first time either of them began their conquest to help others. 

As they were packing up that evening to go back to the city, Sarah Roger's turned to her daughter. 

"Now Sarah, I want you to listen to me very carefully." She said "I've already told your brother this but I'm going to join your father as a nurse in the army. I'll be helping anyone who gets hurt. You and your brother are going to stay with the Barnes' until your father or I get back. Okay?" 

"Yes ma'am." Little Sarah said contemplatively

"Do you have anything to ask me little one?" Sarah asked 

"Nothing mommy, I was just thinking about how I can come help you like you're going to help daddy." 

"Oh my dearest" She had said "Don't think about that yet. If you feel like you want to do this someday. You want to help people as I will, then you fight for it Sarah. You can always get where you want to go, no man will ever be able to tell you anything else."  

"Wherever I want?"  

"Wherever you want Sarah, just as long as you know that it's right for you." 

"How do you know?" Little Sarah had asked, her blue eyes staring up into her mother's. 

"You will just know darling, you will know and no matter what you chose. I will always be standing behind you and in your heart." 

Sarah remembers smiling at her mother before grabbing her hand, leading them to the two bikes their mother had rented for the day. Sarah got on the handlebars of her brother's bike and he sat down in the seat. Their mother had gotten onto her own bike, the picnic things stuffed onto the back. Sarah remembered when Steve got off the bike, sending her to the ground to go over to their mother. 

He had looked into his mother's eyes and told her that he could bike this one. That Sarah wasn't as heavy, that she could ride with his small sister. Sarah's mother had simply smiled before ruffling Steve's hair, and telling him that she needed him to breath better than she needed his most trusted help with her bike. With a kiss on his cheek she began off on the dirt road. 

Sarah had looked at her brother, the two of them sharing a mischievous smile before getting back on the bike and biking as fast as they could go to catch up with their mom. 

With a gasp Sarah's eyes flash open, she's wet now. Steve's terrified face leaning over hers. His own hair wet. With a groan Sarah sits up. This certainly isn't the lab she was in. Looking to her left people are gathered at the end of a tunnel. In front of her is Steve and behind him is a boat harbor. To her left is a man, unmoving and unbreathing. 

"Steve?"

"Yeah?" He asks, worry sketched into every feature of his face and voice. As though I were not awake again

"Why is there a dead guy next to me?" I ask, and Steve leans back. Worry leaving his face, as a chuckle escapes his lips in relief. 

"This time I can say 100% that I can explain everything because i'm 100% the cause of all of this." He says, but thinks "Well, maybe you were 50% part of this too." He says, causing me to smile before my head falls back down on the concrete of the ground.