Chapter 27: The Big Prank and The Leaving Feast

Start from the beginning

" I didn't tell you because I didn't want to worry you. I'm really going to miss you, more than you will ever know, and telling you would have made the whole thing seem more real. More imminent. I wanted to put it off as long as possible. The only other person who knows that I am leaving is Sev, and he doesn't know when I'm going. As for where, that's something I can't tell you yet. I'll tell you on the first of September, I promise. If you come to the school early, instead of getting the Hogwarts express, I'll tell you then. I'll leave from here before the train gets in, and I want to see you one last time. Can you do that for me?"

Both of the fifth years nodded their heads slowly, taking in everything Harry was saying.

" That's good. Now, the main reason I called you both here together was to talk about your break up."

" Harry, that's our business. You shouldn't get involved," Lily said.

" Lily, I'm sorry, but it is my business. I know the whole thing is centred on the events of the last full moon. From what I have gathered from Ron, you argued about Sirius. The whole thing was about my friend, and Sirius' stupidity. You can't say that I'm not involved. Also, it's in my best interests that you get back together."

" Why?"

" James, I'll answer that question on September 1st. I really don't want to go into it just yet."

" Alright, if you say so, Harry."

" I do. Now, I want you two to sort out your differences. I have locked the door, and placed silencing charms on the room, and I am not letting you out of here until you are together again."

" But, Harry, you can't force us to be together," his mother protested.

" I'm not forcing you to do anything you don't want. I know for a fact that you love each other, and I have seen for myself how miserable the last few weeks have been for the both of you. I have watched you across the Great Hall, pretending that everything is alright, but in your eyes I could see that it was tearing you apart. Lily, I know you don't agree with James' choice to support his friend when he is obviously in the wrong. But you have to see that it shows James' loyalty to his friends, no matter what, and not his disloyalty to right and wrong. Sirius was in the wrong, but James is giving him another chance, because he is his friend. Much like I did when I found out Sev had been given the Dark Mark. If I hadn't, we wouldn't have a spy in Voldemort's ranks. Sirius is not a bad person, really, just immature and rash, making some of his decisions less than wise. I know deep down he is not a malicious person. He was acting on a childish grudge, and it had consequences he had not fully considered."

" But Harry, I don't agree with what Sirius did, no matter the consequences it had. The fact that James is choosing him over me in this doesn't sit well with me."

" James isn't choosing Sirius over you. He's doing what he thinks is right, which is exactly what you are doing. You just don't happen to agree with each other. That's the problem. What you have to do is realise that you are both going to have differences in opinion, everybody does, but you can't let that tear you apart. We all disagree, it would be a boring world if we didn't, but you have to learn to compromise. Lily, you don't think that James is right to support Sirius, but James is showing fierce loyalty to a friend. Instead of condemning him for the reasoning behind it, you should be admiring the act itself. Not many people are so close that they would stick together through anything, and loyalty such as James is showing Sirius is admirable. Don't condemn him for it. Show him an equal amount of loyalty and your relationship will grow stronger for it. Trust me, I know."

James and Lily stared at the Slytherin, mouths agape. What Harry said to them made sense, but was something they had never considered before. It took a few minutes for all of the information to sink in, but when it did, the pair looked at each other, smiled, and embraced. Harry watched in satisfaction as the two clung to each other for what seemed like an eternity. When they finally broke apart, they both had tears in their eyes.