Chapter 25: Reactions

Start from the beginning

The pair sat on the grass for several minutes before Harry finally stood up, dragging Sev to his feet with him. He sent a look to the Whomping Willow, behind which Remus was suffering his transformation alone. But Harry knew that the werewolf would have to do without them for one night. Sev was the main concern at the moment, and that was all that mattered.

" Sev, let's go back to the castle. I think we both need to get some sleep. You'll feel better in the morning."

" Sure, if you like."

Harry sent the younger boy a concerned look as he trailed behind him up to Hogwarts. Sev seemed too distant for comfort, more like the Potions Master of the future than the shy youngster Harry had grown to count on.

The next morning Harry went down to the common room to find Severus staring blankly into the fire. The fifth year was startled out of his thoughts when Harry placed a hand on his shoulder.

" Sev, are you coming down to breakfast?"

" I suppose."

" Did you get any sleep at all last night?"

" No."

" Have you been here since we got back?"

" Didn't see the point in going to bed. I knew I wouldn't sleep. And at least here I feel safe."

" You should have told me. I would have brewed you a sleeping draught."

" I doubt it would work."

" I'll make you a Draught of Living Death."

" What's that?"

" A potion."

" I gathered that," Sev said with a frown.

" It's the strongest known sleeping potion. Very potent. You only use it in emergencies."

" What's in it?"

Harry smiled, thinking back to his first ever potions lesson.

" Well, Asphodel and Wormwood play a large part."

" Oh. I'll have to remember that."

" You will."

" Are we going down to breakfast, then?"

" Sure," Harry said, pulling Sev up and heading for the door.

The Great Hall was packed as usual as the pair headed to the Slytherin table. Across the Hall, Harry got his eye on the Marauders huddled in a group at the bottom end of the Gryffindor table. They looked up as the two Slytherins entered, and Harry sent a vicious glare in Sirius' direction. The boy's eyes widened and he looked down at the table. Harry looked at the others sitting on either side of him. James looked between to two in despair, Peter looked indifferent, Lily looked furious and was glaring daggers at Sirius, and Remus looked simply devastated. Sev saw his friend had slowed and followed his gaze. As soon as he saw Remus he started to shake slightly. Luckily, Harry noticed quickly and steered him to the opposite end of the Great Hall, seating them with their backs to the Gryffindor table.

" You ok, Sev?"

" Yeah. He looks so harmless like that. You would never guess what he was."

" He is harmless like this. You may not know it, but this is killing Remus. All of his life he has been so careful not to hurt anybody, and now this happens because a friend he trusted with his secret abused that trust. He feels awful, believe me. What you have to understand, Sev, is that it wasn't his fault. When he's in wolf form, he has no control of his body. You shouldn't blame him for something that he had no control over. If you want to blame anyone, blame Sirius."