Chapter 25: Reactions

Start from the beginning

Harry watched the shadowy figure of his father disappear into the school before walking towards where his friend was sprawled on the floor. Sev didn't react as Harry dropped down next to him and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. Concerned, Harry gave the younger boy a small shake.

" Severus, are you alright?"

The fifth year turned his head towards his friend and gave him a blank look.

" I was so scared, Harry. And you weren't here to save me."

Harry let out a great sigh. He was relieved Sev was coherent enough to speak to him, but he was also worried about the empty look in the boy's eyes. Even in the future, as Harry's Potions Master, Sev had never looked so blank.

" I'm sorry, Sev. I would have come if I knew. You know I would."

" Didn't you?"

" Didn't I what?"

" Know."

" Of course not!" Harry said in shock, " What makes you think I did? I would never do anything to hurt you. You're my friend. You know that."

" Not as good as Black."

" I'm not even talking to Sirius at the moment. I told him straight, if he ever does anything to hurt you again, he will regret it. Whatever gave you the impression that I was better friends with him than with you?"

" He told me you were close. That you weren't even my friend."

" I don't believe he said that. Were those his exact words?"

" No…"

" Well then."

" But he implied that you are closer to him and his Gryffindors than to me. I know you are friends with them, but I hate that you have secrets from me that you don't have from them. Like where you are from, or where you learned all that you know. Black implied that you share things like that with them. But you've never told me. Never."

" Sev, I haven't told anyone those things. Only Dumbledore and some of the Order members. Not the Marauders. It's something that could have major consequences if it ever gets out, and I can't let that happen. The information cannot be given lightly. As for Remus being a werewolf, I didn't tell you about that because it wasn't my secret to tell. I was asked to keep it quiet, and that is what I did. I don't break my word if I can help it. Sev, if it means that much to you, if it will make you trust me, then I will tell you what you want to know. I will tell you where I am from, and what I have done in my life."

" No, it's alright Harry. Just the fact that you are prepared to tell me is enough. I don't want to compromise anything important."

" That's fine, Sev. But I assure you, one day you will know. And when you do, I hope you don't hate me."

" I could never hate you, Harry."

" Don't make promises you can't keep."

" You did. You said you would look out for me. Instead, I find Potter is the one to save me from the werewolf."

" I'm sorry, Sev. As I said, if I had known, I would have prevented it. But you have to learn to take care of yourself, Sev. I won't always be here to protect you. In fact, I won't be here for much longer. I will do the best with the time I have, but you have to accept that things will happen, and I can't solve everything."

Harry felt bad for telling Severus that he didn't know about the Whomping Willow incident. He knew about it, but couldn't interfere. He had to let events play out as they should have, and not changed any of the details. The incident had also driven a wedge between him and Sirius that he doubted would ever be breached. Although he had vaguely known what had happened, the reality of Sirius' maliciousness shocked him. Before he had all of the details, he thought it was an accident, but having seen it first hand, it was something he could never forgive. When he got back to his own time, he was going to have a little chat with his godfather.