Chapter 22: Slytherin vs Gryffindor

Start from the beginning

" You're sure we can't tell them anything about this?" Lily asked.

" I'm sorry, Lil, but it's a matter of security. The spell I placed on you is unbreakable. Even I can't reverse it. You'll just have to learn to make excuses for when you have to come to meetings."

" That's easier said than done, Harry," James explained, " Sirius is like a brother to me. We share everything. He won't like me having secrets."

" I really am sorry. But you've made your choice, and I know for a fact that both your parents will be proud that you decided to join. I've known them both for a long time, and they are very important to me."

" I never realised you knew my parents that well. I knew you'd met them, but are you really such close friend?"

" The best."

" Can I talk to them about this?"

" Of course. You can discuss things about the Order with other members, just not with anyone else."

" Ok, I guess we'd better head back to school."

" Yeah," Lily agreed, " I have an Arithmancy paper I need to finish."

" And you need to get some sleep, James," Harry said with a smirk, " After all, Slytherin is playing Gryffindor tomorrow, and we wouldn't want you falling off your broom now, would we."

The next morning, Harry woke with a start when he heard a frantic banging on his door. Looking at his clock, he saw it read 'way too early – go back to sleep' and let out a loud groan. Leaping out of bed, he walked across the room and pulled the door open forcefully, a scowl in place and his fangs bared. Sev took a nervous step back when he saw his friend. Harry relaxed when he saw who it was, moving aside and holding the door open. As soon as Sev stepped inside, Harry slammed the door behind him.

" What sort of time do you call this?! The sun isn't even up!"

" I'm sorry, Harry. I'm just nervous."

" We've already played Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw, Sev. It can't be just jitters."

" It's because we're facing Gryffindor. You know Potter and Black have it in for me."

" Sev, tell me the truth. It can't be just because we're playing Gryffindor. Ravenclaw had as good a team as they do, and we beat them. And I'm sure James and Sirius will behave themselves. If they don't, they'll have me to answer to."

Sev hung his head and let out a loud sigh. After a moment he looked up and into his friend's eyes.

" My father's coming to watch," he whispered.

Harry immediately understood. Satanus Snape would want to see his son play well and beat Slytherin's greatest rivals. If their House lost today, Sev would suffer badly for it. A wave of determination welled up in Harry and he put a protective hand around his friend's shoulders.

" Then we'll have to make sure we win. Don't worry, Sev, I won't let them beat us."

" Thanks, Harry."

" What are friends for? Now, it's way too early to be getting up. If we don't get some more sleep, we'll be dozing off on our brooms, and that wouldn't help Slytherin's chances any."

" I guess so. Sorry for waking you."

" It's alright. Go back to bed. I'll see you at breakfast."

Sev did as was asked of him, closing the door quietly behind him. Harry let out a big sigh before crawling back into bed. Closing his eyes, he willed sleep to come, but instead lay awake until dawn.