chapter eighty-three

December 18th - Hospital Wing 

All five marauders were at the Hospital Wing, waiting for Remus to wake up with solemn expressions on their faces. Sirius and Nephera had just filled James and Peter in on what had happened the previous night, and judging by the two boy's reactions, it was a good thing that Lestrange, Mulciber, and Avery had fled the castle. 

"They actually tried using the Killing Curse?" asked Peter, shocked 

Sirius nodded, leaning against the headboard of his bed, "Twice, actually," 

"I almost had them, bloody hell I almost got them to stop," continued the Slytherin, "But then Mulciber, the idiot that he is..." 

James run a hand through his hair, "Shit, we should've been there," 

"No," said the raven-haired boy forcefully, "Moony needed you, the full moons are always worse when we're not there. Besides, according to Nephera, not everyone can cast the Killing Curse and have it work" 

Peter flopped down on one of the beds, "At least you're both alright," he sighed, "And they ran? They're out of the school?" 

"Yeah," scoffed the girl, "And they have pretty much every single Auror in this bloody country looking for them. Which reminds me, I have to go to Dumbledore's office to see Moody, he wants to talk to me," she stood up, smoothing over her clothes, "Fill Moony up when he wakes up?" 

James nodded, and Sirius placed a kiss on her check as all three boys watched her walk out. The two Gryffindors that weren't there during the duel were shocked to hear that their best friend had crucioed someone, but then again, they understood it. 

After all, they weren't sure what would have happened if they were there themselves. 

"Pads, mate," started James, noticing his brother's clenched jaw and fists 

Sirius knew what the curly-haired boy was trying to ask, and after spending so many years with James, he knew that there would be no way of getting out of its conversation, "I was so fucking scared," he admitted, his hands starting to shake, "She has a bloody price on her head, and I feel like I can't do anything to help her," he took in a deep breath, "I can't watch her die, I just- I can't," 

The green light flashed before his eyes once again. He was sure that every time he'd close his eyes, he'd see it, or even worse, he'd see her dying. What he said last night wasn't a lie, he needed her. He needed her sarcastic comments, and her schemes, and her rants, and he needed her in his arms every single night. 

Merlin help him and everyone else if he ever did lose her. 

"But you did help her," ensured Peter, "Yesterday, you were there. Hell, you might've even saved her life last night, you protected her," 

"Nephera doesn't need protecting," scoffed the boy, "I just wish she'd go into hiding like everyone's telling her to," 

James moved from his bed to sit at the foot of Sirius's, "She wouldn't be Mortem if she did. You know what she's been through, we all do, we can't expect her to want to be confined into yet another room," 

The raven-haired boy sighed, but nodded his head in agreement, "I know, trust me I know, but it doesn't make it any less stressful," 

There wasn't much his friends could say to help their brother, for they all shared the same worry concerning the girl, "We'll be alright in the end," assured the mousy-boy, "When this blasted war is over, we'll all be standing in the finish line," 

No one else spoke after that, but Sirius took out a cigarette and handed one to both James and Peter. If Poppy saw them, she'd lecture them about the dangers of smoking, but then again, would they really all be alive long enough to be killed by it?