Chapter 19-To Chicago

We put our plan into action after Sam and Dean had fallen asleep. Katherine and I crept into Jessica’s room and while Kat did what she had to do, I was on the lookout to make sure no one was nearby.

“What’s taking you so long?” I hissed at Katherine when she didn’t come out for quite some time, but there was no reply so I called out again, “Kat?”

I started to get the uneasy feeling that something was wrong-really, really wrong-and immediately regretted my decision to leave Kat alone in that room with Jessica. Without a moment of hesitation, I entered the room and looked around a little confused. Kat wasn’t anywhere in the room and I was so deep in my own thoughts, several scenarios running through my mind in a flash, that the flushing sound of the toilet took me by surprise. As I turned around, I spotted Kat walking out of the washroom and when she saw me looking at her she shrugged.

“What?” she said, “A girl has needs!”

I raised my eyebrows at her, “And what was it this time? A need to look in the mirror to curl your hair or put on some more makeup?”

She glared at me as she snapped, “Both! Since some of us actually like to look like a part of the living and not like a dead zombie.”

“I don’t look like a dead zombie,” I instantly replied, “maybe more like an undead one,” I added as an afterthought.

“I wonder what the Winchester brothers will say about that,” Kat said, as we walked out of Jess’ room.

“Say about what?” Dean suddenly asked, standing right in front of the door. Sam was still fast asleep on the wooden bench right in front of the room. The brown bag that contained his dinner was still unopened and lying next to him.

Dean had probably kept it there in the hopes that Sam would eat soon enough, but we both knew that he wouldn’t. I had tried threatening Sam by telling him that I wouldn’t eat my dinner until he did, but the plan back fired when my stomach rumbled out loud. So I had eaten my dinner because I had been so frickin’ hungry and I didn’t want to embarrass myself further by letting my stomach make rumbling noises again.

“Umm….an undead zombie?” I said the first thing that came to my mind.

Dean looked like he was trying to hide a smile, “Was that what you were doing in there? Trying to find an undead zombie?”

I heard Katherine giggling behind me, “Umm….no! I was…um…” I couldn’t think of anything to say to him so I said the only thing that I could think of, “A girl has needs!”

I could see the sides of Dean’s mouth curling up into a smile as he said, “What kinds of needs?”

“Like looking in the mirror to comb her hair and put on makeup,” Kat quickly replied, “things like that.”

I gave Kat a death glare but had to agree with her, “Yeah, things like that.”

“Never thought you were the makeup type,” Dean said passing me an amused look.

‘Yeah me neither,’ I thought to myself but said, “It’s all I can do to not look like those supernatural creatures that you hunt.”

The doctor came to us the next morning, bearing the good news. Jess was out of the coma! She was alive and okay, and there were no signs of any injury. She was healed of everything! The doctor said that it was a miracle, but Kat and I knew the truth. Sam and Dean on the other hand were giving each other suspicious looks probably because they were wondering about the possibility of this being a miracle.

“Do you think that this could be a case?” Sam asked Dean when Katherine wasn’t there.

“I dunno but I think that we should check it out anyway,” Dean replied.

“Oh come on you guys. There are plenty of people who recover from coma,” I said to the both of them, “It could just be a miracle.”

“In our job, there’s no such thing as miracles,” Sam told me.

“But there are possibilities and this could be one,” I said.

“I still think that we should check things out,” Sam stubbornly suggested.

‘Yeah but you’re not going to find anything,’ I thought to myself and just then felt my phone vibrating in my pocket. It was a text message from Kat saying-‘Meet me outside.’

I looked at the message a little confused but excused myself from the hospital and went to meet Katherine. She was standing outside, right next to the Impala.

“You texted me,” I said to her.

She nodded her head, “Remember when I told you earlier that I knew where Klaus and Stefan were headed.”

I nodded my head, I remembered. “Well, that’s where I’m going right now,” she said.

“So you called me out here for a goodbye?” I asked, a little surprised. Kat wasn’t really the one for saying goodbyes.

“No,” her answer was pretty straightforward, “I called you out here to ask you if you’re coming with me.”

Even though Kat had used the word ‘ask’ I was pretty sure that she already knew my answer. Of course I was going with her. I had wanted to ask Kat about Klaus’ and Stefan’s location since she’d first mentioned it to me, but I’d stopped myself because of Jess’ bad condition. Now, though, Jess was alright and that meant that I was ready to go.

“I’m coming!” I told her, “but could we just stay until Jess gets out of the hospital and is allowed to go back home?” It would also give me time to tell Sam and Dean about my road trip with Kat. I could just feel the excitement bubbling inside of me right now.

She shook her head, “We have to go right now.”

“Then can I at least tell Sam and Dean…” I started to say and saw Kat shaking her head again.

“It’s going to take us long enough to get there, and even longer for us to find them,” she said.

The decision was mine to make but I had known from the start that there was no way I was missing out on a road trip with Kat. “Alright,” I sighed, “I’ll talk to Sam and Dean on the phone and tell them that it was an emergency.”

“You do that,” Kat winked at me before she turned around to scan the parking lot.

“What are you…?” I started to say but Kat interrupted.

“Hey which car do you like?” she asked and without thinking I pointed to a sleek, red car without a rooftop.

“Well then that’s the car we’re travelling in,” she said already walking towards it.

“And…um…where are we going exactly?” I asked, knowing that there was no use in trying to argue with her.

“To Chicago.”