Warehouse Accidents

"I can't believe this! This is absolutely ridiculous! Completely wrong! Totally and horrifically-"

"Are you going to keep blabbering or do I cut in now and ask what's wrong?" I cut in, Chase slapping the piece of paper down on the lunch table. I scooted my salad to the side, leaning down to look at his progress report.

"What am I supposed to be looking for? I see all A's." I said as Chase made an "ah-ah-ah" noise.

"They may be all A's, but one of them is an A minus. A MINUS." He yelled as I flinched and looked up at him in confusion.

"So? What's the big deal?" I asked as Chase gasped obnoxiously.

"The 'big deal' is that I'm supposed to be the smartest person in the world, and I just got an A minus for home Ec!" Chase argued as he sat down grumpily, hitting his head on the table. It almost sounded like he was crying.

"Chase, Mr. Mattons has never given someone an A+ in his entire career. Not once. He hates kids, but not as much as Principal Perry. He just likes watching the smart ones suffer." I said, rubbing his back as he sighed.

"Yeah but... now I have to go find a way to reclaim my superiority." Chase complained as I shrugged.

"Sign up for Student of the Semester. Every semester, kids compete to see who can best improve the school. Whoever gets the most votes wins free pencils, a bumper sticker, and a cheesy picture of himself on the wall!" I explained as Chase grinned, nodding with excitement.

"That's brilliant, Dottie! Thank you so much!" Chase said before grabbing my face and planting a kiss on my cheek, standing up and running out as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

I sat in my chair, wide eyed and paralyzed with butterflies in my stomach, unsure of what just happened actually happened.

Did Chase really just kiss my cheek? Or am I imagining things again?

The feeling of his soft lips still lingered on my cheek. This is definitely real.

Chase's POV

I walked out of the cafeteria with an evil grin on my face before I froze dead in my tracks, grin dropping to a horrified expression of nothing but absolute terror.

"Chase buddy? What's going on with you? Bree why does your brother look like he just made a terrible mistake?" Leo asked as he waved a hand across my face. I crushed the progress report in my hands. Can they see my heart beating out of my chest?

Did I really just kiss Vanessa's cheek?

"Oh god." I muttered as Adam, Bree and Leo stared at me blankly. I turned to look at them all. "I just involuntarily kissed Vanessa's cheek." I croaked out as the three gasped.

"What does involuntarily mean?" Adam asked as I stiffened up.

"How did you accidentally kiss Vanessa?!" Leo asked as Adam 'oooed.'

"I got so excited about her recommending I sign up for the Student of the Semester competition that I grabbed her face and... kissed her. And now I don't know what to do!" I explained as Bree laughed.

"Finally I'm not the one to embarrass myself around a person I like. But this... is something you can't walk away from or avoid." She said as I scratched my head.

"I Uh- I need to go. I'll see you guys later! Or not if I can find a tall enough bridge..." I muttered, running off.

Vanessa's POV

I didn't sit with anyone at lunch today. I just went straight to Mr. Davenport's. If I was lucky, Chase would stay after school to do something for the student of the Semester award.