Chapter 49 - The babysitter

Tessa's POV:

"I'm Tessa" I shake her hand which is as soft as a feather. "Come on in!" I step aside and let her in.

I'm getting positive and good vibes from her. She seems a sweetheart.

She stops after walking 2 steps in and stares at Emery who is not having it today. She's in a sassy and don't-talk-to-me mood. She's sitting beside Hardin, curled up like a ball under his arm and minding her own business. Hardin is playing with her hair, circling his fingers in her hair, which is making her more irritable.

"This is Hardin" I point at Hardin. "He's my- Emery's father" I tell her and he gives me a weird nod.

"Hi" Mia says to him but he ignores and continues playing with Emery's hair.

"That's Emery" I tell her and she gasps.

"Hi Emery" she says in a baby voice bending down at Emery and Hardin rolls his eyes hard. He hates when people talk like that to her.

"May I?" Mia asks Hardin for permission to pick Emery up.

Hardin hesitates and looks at me. I give him a nod and he removes his arm from her.

"Hello,  Ms. Emery" Mia holds her and Em looks at her confusingly. She doesn't like being held by people she doesn't know.

She starts crying and Hardin stands up. He brings his hands forward and Emery jumps in his arms. The way he's looking at me, he is probably mad at me for letting Mia hold her which made her cry.

"Why don't you let her get comfortable around you first" I tell her.

"Yes I'm sorry" She chuckles keeping her sling on the coffee table.

"I'll make you some coffee. Make yourself comfortable" I smile at her and Hardin looks at me in confusion.

Hardin's POV:

I don't know what Tessa was thinking leaving me alone with this girl. I don't fucking want to help her get comfortable here!

"So, you're her dad?" The girl asks me sitting down not so far away from me.

Isn't she dumb.

"Yea" I answer.

"Well of course" she scoffs realizing her own stupid question.

She has a Spanish accent and she looks a little older to be 19. She gives her hand to Emery for a handshake but Emery doesn't give her. She looks up at me instead.

"Go on. You can shake her hand" I tell Em placing a kiss on the top of her head.

"Look, I'm doing it" I shake the girl's hand and Emery observes. Apparently, she trusts me and Tessa more than anyone and if we tell her that she's safe with the other person, she listens.

"Come on" I assure her bringing her hand to the girl's hand.

"You are so great with her!" She tells me in awe, shaking Emery's hand.

Tessa's POV:

I walk into the living room, surprisingly Mia and Hardin are laughing at something. Hardin usually takes more time than Emery to warm up to people but it's a miracle I guess.

"Here's your coffee" I keep it on the coffee table. "And yours" I tell Hardin and he nods.

"So, what's going on?" I ask them sitting beside him.

"Mr. Scott was just telling me about her" Mia says.

"Hardin is fine" he gets up and hands Em to me.