Chapter 27 - New neighbor

Tessa's POV:

I cannot believe this man. He just know how to get under my skin.

I open my apartment door and find Kim sitting on the couch, reading magazines.

"Tessa finally" she hugs me but I can tell she's mad at me.

"Where the hell were you? Hardin had us worried all night and then he finally responded with a 'she's safe' text a while a ago" she squeaks.

"I was in Pullman" I sit down.

"What? Why?"

I tell her everything, about the stream, brunch with the group, Hardin's nightmares.

"Seriously?" she gasps.

"Yeah" I pick my nails. "As much as I hate him, his nightmares always have been a weak point"

"What are you gonna do?" she asks in a serious tone.

"I honestly don't know. He wants me to forgive him, he believes I will but I can't. I'm not ready to put this all behind. If he is willing to be part of her life.. I can't keep him from her. It's all so messed up" I cover my face with my hands.

"Tessa isn't this all you wanted? For him to mature up and I can tell he's making efforts. That day he called in asking for a job"

"He did?"

"Yes but we didn't have any vacancies here. Christian offered to help him get another job but he refused"

"Oh" is all I can say.

He is trying after all.

"Tessa there's something you need to know. It's about Pete-"

...

"He's in a coma?" I ask after she finishes.

"Yes. He was beaten almost till death. His face was almost unrecognizable. His roommate found him unconscious, he was hit on his head and dragged to his room"

"What?" This can't be happening-

"Yeah" she clicks her tongue.

"Who did it?" I ask even though my subconscious knows.

"Well we can only see black hoodie in the footage but Christian knows that maybe-"

"Hardin." I complete her sentence.

"Yeah. He called Vance asking for Pete's address. Do you know why he would do this?"

My fists ball up and my eyes start watering. "Pete was the guy-"

"Oh my god" she gasps and wraps her arms around me. "I'm sorry I didn't knew" She says in pity.

I am trying so hard to forget that night but I just can't.

"How did Hardin find out"

"I don't know. I might have told him, I don't remember much"

She sighs. "Christian will take care of this okay? We will make sure Pete gets hell" she gives me a nod.

"And Hardin? He wont get in trouble will he?" I cant help but ask.

"No. Luckily you can't see his face in the footage. He'll be fine" she smiles.

"I should probably get some sleep. I could barely sleep in my car last night" I give her a smile and leave for my room.

...

The alarm goes off. It's 6 pm and I feel quite rested after the nap. I brush my teeth and curl up my hair to look a bit presentable. I start preparing for dinner and I'm interrupted by a knock on the door.