"Great to see you, (Y/n)," Young Gresham's voice boomed. He was lounged back in his chair, his feet up on his desk. "I assumed you agreed to take care of this thing?"

You felt a bit uncomfortable by the way that young Gresham pointed out the girl but tried not to show your distaste. "Yes, I did."

Young Gresham nodded lazily. "The room next to yours was cleared out so that's where it will be staying for now." He sent a sharp look to the girl before continuing. "The thing won't respond to anything that we ask it so I assume it doesn't speak our language."

Or, maybe she just doesn't want to talk to you.

You forcefully smiled, shaking your head. "That's okay, I'm sure that I can find a way to communicate with her."

You bit back the urge to slap yourself and settled with a pinch. Hopefully, Young Gresham wasn't smart enough to pick up on your retort. You didn't want him crying to daddy saying you hurt his feelings.

Lucky apparently wasn't on your side today as his eyes narrowed at you. Unlike what you thought, he just brushed it off, rolling his eyes before waving his hand carelessly. "Whatever, just take it already."

You silently made your way over to the poor girl, trying to put on your most gentle appearance. To give her some room, you stopped quite a bit short of the corner, holding out your hand for the girl to grasp. She didn't seem too interested in contact because she just stared at your hand with her wide eyes. You changed your strategy to only hold out your pinky. Maybe she just doesn't like contact.

The girl was still hesitant but ended up locking her pinkie with yours, allowing you to carefully lead her out of the corner and to the door. You didn't forget to bow lightly before you left, trying your best to ignore the almost disgusted look that Young Gresham had on his face. He clearly was not a big fan of the girl.

Once you made stepped into the hallway with the young girl, everyone was frozen, staring at the two of you. The young girl trembled next to you, taking a small step behind you to hide. You cleared your throat in an attempt to snap people out of their trance. It worked, but then it only caused them to start whispering again.

With a small shake of your head, you lead the small girl down the hallway again, taking a sharp left to get away from the busy hallway. You hoped that what they said didn't reach her ears although it's not like she would understand it in the first place if she didn't know your language.

With a sigh of relief, you walked down another short hallway that led to your room. For the most part, It was secluded, being in a section of the mansion that wasn't accessible to everyone.

You led the girl into the room next to yours, happy to see it had already been cleaned and set up for another guest. It was almost identical to your bedroom, a full bed located in the center of the right wall with a dresser on the wall across from it. The door to the closet was located next to the dresser, farthest from the entrance. The door to the bathroom was on the other side of the dresser, almost directly next to the entrance.

Gently, you maneuvered the girl to the bed, gesturing for her to climb onto it. She did as you said, placing herself on the bed without a word. The young girl looked a bit messy, splotches of dirt and ash covering her face.

You would just set her up a bath but you weren't sure how her skin would react with water. Even if she was a hybrid, one of the things you knew for sure about the nether was that they didn't have water, and the water they did have was taken from the overworld and carried in special containers.

You filled a small container full of water and grabbed a washcloth from the drawer in her bathroom. When you came back into the room, she was in the same position you left her in. She didn't even make a move to look around the room, her gaze staring directly ahead.

"U-Um," You stuttered, not sure how exactly to communicate with the girl. "Does water hurt you?" You tried your best to emphasize your words with movement, dipping the washcloth into the water and rubbing it lightly on your arm before gesturing to hers.

She took the washcloth out of your hand. rubbing it on her own arm. Smiling, you took a mental note that water, in fact, does not hurt her. You took the washcloth back from her hand before dipping it back in the water and gesturing to her face. She nodded, taking the washcloth from your hand again, and began rubbing her face with the washcloth. In no time she was able to get most of the dirt off her face, but you noticed that she missed a few spots. When she handed you the dirty washcloth, you rinsed it with the bowl of water before bringing it back up to her face, hesitating in front of her.

"May I?" You asked gently without thinking. Right when you were about to scold yourself, she nodded.

"Can you understand me?" You blurted out.

No response. Not even a twitch.

Maybe it was just a coincidence.

Shoving that in the back of your mind, you gently rubbed the washcloth on your own face again before gesturing to hers. She didn't make a move to grab the washcloth as you leaned in, wiping the remnants of dirt she failed to wash from her face.

Once the girl's face was cleaned, you washed out the bowl of water and returned to the room, taking notice of the way the poor girl shivered.

"Are you cold?" You asked, rubbing your hands on your arms.

The young girl nodded as she shivered again.

"Okay, give me one minute," You said, putting up a finger in hopes she understood what you meant. After grabbing a jacket from your room, you returned, handing it to the small girl. She quickly put it on, snuggling her face into the material.

"Are you hungry?" You questioned, rubbing your stomach in a circular motion.

The girl once again nodded, placing her hand on her stomach.

Just as you were about to ask what she'd like, you bit your tongue. There was no good way to ask what her favorite food was or what she felt like eating. It also wasn't even time for dinner yet so if you fed her now, she'd most likely be hungry at night.

You stopped to think for a moment before remembering about the batter you placed in the fridge earlier. You're sure the other housekeepers could go one day without your sweet treats.

•••

Thank you for the votes on the last chapter, I really appreciate it!

Do you trust the Greshams?

What do you think will happen next?