"But that's impossible. How can you get up into the sky? The stars?"

"I haven't figured that out yet but it won't stop me. I'll get there."

Yaalon looked back up to the sky and stared for a moment. Who was he to judge, anyway? He was the first to ever leave the caverns. Maybe Agnez would be the first to leave the planet.

"Well," said Yaalon, " before you head up there, why don't you tell me about this sister of yours?"

"Rajhani?"

"If that's her name," Yaalon said with a wink.

Agnez smiled slightly and shook her head. "I think I've told you enough about me for now." She didn't want to tell him about Ra. Not yet, anyway. She felt she could trust him but she didn't quite know why and she had made mistakes before. Yaalon couldn't do anything to hurt her dead parents. But her beautiful, young sister was still very much alive. She regretted that she had mentioned her sister when talking about her mother's death. And that she said her name out loud.

Agnez pulled off a piece of fish and put it in her mouth, chewing slowly. She heard a low huff and looked over to see Rockdog staring at the hand that held the portion of fish still uneaten. Thinking of her sister and the need to get back to the village, she decided that she had had enough and tossed the rest to the wolf. He caught it in the air and swallowed it with one, noisy gulp.

"Rockdog," Yaalon reprimanded the wolf, "that's rude."

"It's okay," Agnez said, waving a hand in disregard. "I had enough. We should get going. I need to get back to the village."

Yaalon popped the last piece of his fish in his mouth and stood, offering her his hand. She took it and he helped her up. "You've been through a lot," he said. "I'm sorry about your parents."

"We go through what we go through," Agnez said. "We can choose to deal with it or not. I have responsibilities to my tribe. I choose to manage whatever comes my way."

Yaalon used his foot to push dirt and sand over the remains of the small fire used to cook the fish and started away from the pond they had been sitting near. Agnez, using his arm for support, hobbled along next to him.

"Still," said Yaalon, "it must get tiring."

Agnez looked up at him as she trudged along. "Life is what it is. You know that. Anyone who can see you can see that you've had your share of struggles."

"I'm just saying that I understand. And it's been a while since I've met someone who didn't want to run away screaming or kill me because I scare them. It's nice to meet someone I can talk to."

Agnez paused and Yaalon stopped with her. She looked up at him. "Look, I appreciate you helping me home. But I don't want you to think there's something here that isn't."

"Whoa, whoa," said Yaalon, waiving his free hand. "I'm just saying it's nice to meet a friend. That's all. I can sympathize with you. I've lost people, too."

"Yes, you left your family in the caverns. Since you're so interested in life stories, maybe you can share why you left your family. You never really answered when I asked before."

Yaalon took a deep breath and took a step. "Come on, Agnez," he said, "let's get going."

Agnez let go of his arm. "I think I can walk on my own now," she said, straightening her back and taking a tentative step. She grimaced but stayed steady.

Yaalon stepped toward her and offered a hand. "There's no need to be stubborn, Agnez. Let me help you."

Agnez thought of her sister, the last living member of her family, and looked over at Yaalon. "Maybe it would be best if I went back by myself."

Yaalon squinted his eyes in thought and dropped his hand. "Agnez, I don't know what you're afraid of but I just want to help."

"It's okay, really. I'll make it."

"Agnez," Yaalon started.

"I said it's okay. I've been hurt before. I'll make it," Agnez said as she started to walk off.

Yaalon took a couple of long strides and grabbed her shoulder, turning her around to face him. "Agnez, this thing that you were tracking, whatever it is, it's destroying my home, too. You haven't told me why you were following it or what you think you can do but if there is even the smallest chance that you think you can defeat it, I want to help."

Agnez looked at Yaalon and could see that he was telling the truth. She could also see that he was using the truth to mask other thoughts as well. Maybe he was lonely. His solitary life couldn't be easy. And if she was honest with herself, she didn't really think that he would hurt Ra. She knew that she was using it as an excuse to maintain distance, as she always had with men. Ra thought that she had chosen her sister over marriage and a family life but the truth was that getting close to anybody, in any way, scared her. Everyone she had loved had died. Everyone except her sister. And she had to keep her sister close. And protect her.

Yaalon stood patiently, waiting for an answer. Agnez shrugged her shoulders and let out a long sigh. "Okay," she finally said. She jerked her head in the direction she had been walking. "Come on."

Yaalon smiled and joined her. He looked over his shoulder and said, "Come on, pup."

Rockdog wagged his tail and bounded over to Yaalon, falling into rhythm with his companion's step.

"So," asked Yaalon as they walked, "what's your village like?"

"Iyhiri Village? You'll see when we get there." She looked up at Yaalon as she took a step. "And I still say it's not a pup."

🙚🙘

Tulok was at the tree line squatting next to a large crucith, keeping himself hidden from sight in its shade. Twisting to his side, he whispered to the men in the trees behind him. "There," he pointed as he spoke. "There it is."

"What the hell is that thing?" asked a young fighter. His breast plate bore no teeth.

"It's the monster that's cursing our lands. He's the reason food is short. And he killed the rest of my hunting team."

"What about the woman and the wolf?"

"The wolf dies. We'll haul it back to feed the tribe. Fitting that his companion fill our bellies." He paused and looked back at Yaalon and Agnez walking away from the pond. "She won't be any trouble. Just a useless woman. And she looks hurt. I'll take her back to The Realm with me," he chuckled as he spoke, shifting his trousers with one hand and placing the other against the crucith for support. A low laugh from the men behind him told him they understood.

_____________________________________________

Thanks for following along. Next week Agnez, Yaalon, and Rockdog have a showdown with Tulok and his crew. And we find start to find out what happened with Ra and Cyran. 

*Photo by Alex Azabache from Pexels.