Chapter Twelve

Shawn drifted in and out of consciousness, not always clear on what was happening.

Darkness.

A slamming door.

Silence.

Sirens.

Cars pulling up.

Light.

He fluttered his eyes open and saw Juliet leaning over him. She brushed her hair out of her face and turned back to the door she'd just opened.

"He's in here!" She yelled and looked at his heavily bleeding arm. "Oh god..."

Rolling wheels.

His body being lifted.

Something soft beneath him.

Two doors closing.

An engine.

He then lost all senses as he completely fell asleep.

A routine beeping brought Shawn back into the feeling of being awake. He was in the hospital again, but there was no IV, which made sense since he didn't have a large bullet wound this time.

It was his dad who sat beside his bed this time, although he didn't look very uncomfortable, which meant they hadn't spent much time there.

"Hey, kid," Henry smiled when he saw his son's eyes open. "How are you feeling?"

"I am fine," Shawn tried to sit up, but gasped as he felt his elbow buckle and his arm ache. "Okay, maybe not."

He didn't know how we was going to do the job, but he knew he had to.

"Listen, Head Detective Lassiter and Detective O'Hara are going to have to take your statement," Henry said. Shawn turned his head to the door and saw that it was cracked open slightly, enough for him to see his favorite detectives waiting outside his room. He nodded and then they came in.

"Mr. Spencer," Lassiter looked at Henry. "We're going to have to ask you to leave."

"You really think that's going to happen?" Henry laughed humorlessly. "I'm going to stay with my son, I'm going to know every detail, and you are not going to get in my way."

Shawn raised his eyebrows at this sudden outburst of what seemed to be care from his father. Although he did just find out that his son was stabbed by the same person his son was shot by...

"Alright," Lassiter sighed, knowing there wasn't really a reason to try to make Henry leave. "Now, tell me. What made you go down to the gas station?"

"I was checking to see if you guys had missed anything," Shawn already had his story figured out. "You know me, always noticing everything you don't. So I left my home to see it."

"So what did you do once you left your house?" Lassiter asked.

"I took my motorcycle to the gas station," His bike had probably been found anyway, but he knew that he needed to tell the small details so his dad wouldn't see that he was lying about what happened.

"What occured when you arrived?" Lassiter continued his questioning.

"I went inside, and immediately went for the back room," Shawn explained. "When I walked in, someone stabbed me in the arm from behind. I tried to turn around, but I fell to the floor first. I took a glance at the door, and the person I saw was Longmore. Then Rollins came up to me. I was able to get my phone and call Juliet. Then he said that I was lucky that I didn't see enough for me to kill him...they were probably doing something in there. But, before I could do anything else, Longmore hit me in the back of the head with his gun. After that, I drifted in and out of consciousness, just hearing things like sirens and cars when you guys came."

Lassiter finished writing his notes a couple minutes after Shawn was done talking. It was a pretty short experience, so the statement really wasn't long.

"Thank you, Mr. Spencer." Juliet said to Shawn, remembering to stay formal since it was police business. "We will try to find out as much as we can about this. In the meantime, I would advise that you get some rest."

They left the room and Shawn turned back to his dad.

"Hey, how long have you been here?" He asked Henry.

"About four hours," His dad answered.

"Why don't you go home?" Shawn suggested, just to get himself out of anybody's eyesight. "You should go get some rest somewhere that isn't an uncomfortable hospital chair."

At first, Henry looked at him strangely. After all, was it really normal for someone who just woke up after a possibly traumatic experience to want to be alone? He wasn't sure, but it could have been his son's way to cope, so he nodded.

"You're going to be discharged later anyway," With that, his dad left.

Shawn immediately sat up, using his right arm instead of his left this time. His job was to steal some stuff for Lenny, probably some drugs. He wasn't exactly sure what to get, so he decided to go with the easy option, which was taking what he could find. Something that was prescribed fairly often, for example, there was a box with the pill version of morphine in it on the table next to his bed.

He looked around and saw a small black trash can in the corner. Shawn took the bag out and emptied it. Once that was done, he stashed the box in the bag. He made a plan. He would go around to the rooms near his own, seeing as he had gotten so good at sneaking around. He would then take any pills, since any liquids could spill, and put them in the bag.

Shawn opened the door and poked his head out. The hall was clear except for one nurse, who was walking in the other direction from him. He quickly tip-toed to the room across next to his and slowly opened the door.

No visitors were there, and the patient was sound asleep. Or in a coma. He didn't really have time to read the medical reports. He grabbed a box, but didn't check what was in it.

Suddenly he heard a groan, and his eyes automatically went to the door when he realized it was the patient. It was a relief at first, then his brain made the connection the the patient might see him. So he fast-walked out as fast as possible and went to the room across from there and did the same thing. The box he got there was a little smaller, but it didn't really matter.

Finally, he went to the room across from his, and his eyes widened as he saw the table. There wasn't just one, but three different boxes. He was sure this would be enough. As he put them all in the bag, however, he heard a gasp.

"What do you think you're doing?" Shawn turned and saw a nurse, who immediately pressed the call button. As he looked at the nurse, he saw that a figure in the hallway had turned away from his room and into the one he was in.

"Shawn?" Juliet asked in confusion.