Chapter 17

Every sound at the camp made me jump. I hadn't been questioned about my powers since I had returned. I knew it wouldn't be long. Maybe they were waiting until the Darkling was healed to question both of us. But it was doubtful that General Janazain would wait that long.

The only other reason I was safe was that another unit had arrived while I was gone.  And I could tell they were far more accepting of grisha because they were from southern Ravka. They didn't have fijerdan hatred engraved into them despite being ravkan like a lot of the people here.

I wanted to talk to Zoya but I needed to avoid putting her at risk. I had gone to the mapmaker's tent to avoid everyone at camp. Kate was also working there so it was inevitable that she would question me.

"What happened? Did you see the light that the other patrols were talking about?"

I was afraid to give her answers. It wasn't her intention to raise suspicion, she was probably just curious.

"Aleksander wanted to know what a group of fijerdans were saying and they spotted us." I explained
I intentionally avoided mentioning anything about the light.

"Is that how he got shot? Did you see the light?" she asked eagerly

"I didn't see it."
I said and turned back to the maps. Kate seemed to understand that I wasn't in the mood for questions and turned back to her work. I listened for Willow's patrol to get back. She would probably want to hear what happened to the Darkling from me.

I lost track of time and then the Healer I had talked to earlier stepped into the tent.

"He's awake if you wanted to see him."
I thanked him and headed to the healer's tent.

Finally. It had only been several hours but time was dragging on. I avoided everyone around me as I wound through the tents. The healer's tent was large but it was rarely full. The Darkling was sitting on the edge of a cot and shrugging on a jacket.

"How are you?" I asked

It wasn't the best thing to ask considering he had just been shot but I had no better ideas for what to say.

"Let's skip the small talk. What happened?" he said

"I saved you."

"You know what I mean. You summoned light." the Darkling didn't sound mad.
Only curious, just like Kate was.

"You're right, please don't tell anyone you know how it is for grisha here." I said quietly

"I won't tell anyone, your secret is safe with me."

relief flooded me briefly before I remembered that almost everyone had heard rumors or seen my power. I pulled up a chair and sat across from the Darkling.

"Someone saw me use it, it won't matter soon." I admitted
The Darkling placed his hand reassuringly on my shoulder.

"I'll do whatever I can to protect you."

I wanted to back away from him. What if now that he knew about my power that was all he wanted me for. But I didn't back away. I just gazed into his quartz eyes.

"My power makes me a lot more important to protect I guess."

I wouldn't let him manipulate me again. I wouldn't let him do the same thing he did at the little palace.

"No- Alina that's not what I meant, I would want to protect you even if you were normal." he said

I could sense the worry in his voice but I ignored him.

"Why? Why do you seem to care so much more now that you know I'm the Sun Summoner?"

"Because I know I may not outlive you by hundreds of years. I did like you before I knew, I promise."

I always struggled to know when he was telling the truth, now it was no different.
The Darkling glanced at my lips. It was easier for me to believe that he didn't care for me. But he just made it very clear that he did. I leaned forward to kiss him. My lips barely grazed his before he pulled away, not much,  but enough for me to know that we had both made a mistake.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, "I can't do this right now. I don't want you to be put any more at risk because of me."

I knew that this was dangerous. I knew that he was someone with a lot of enemies. But it was hard to care about that right now, after all his enemies were mine as well. The Darkling's lips were still only inches away from mine when two soldiers burst into the tent.

"Miss Starkov you're under arrest for hiding your powers and conspiracy against a superior officer." one of them announced.

They seized my wrists and put me in handcuffs. I didn't fight. I knew it would only make this worse.

"What are you doing?" the Darkling snapped

"Following orders." other soldier snapped back

They led me into a clearing where the entire camp's attention was on me. General Janazain was waiting for me. His cold blue eyes were focused intensely on me. I held my head high with fake confidence. The pistol in his hand definitely didn't make me feel any better about this outcome.

I recalled what happened to the girl they thought was the Sun Summoner. She never had a chance. I was also terrified that there were claims of conspiracy against me as well. Who had revealed us? Would Willow, Kate or the Darkling be punished?

The warmth of the noon sun beat down on me. I looked into it to avoid looking at General Janazain who was raising his pistol. When I couldn't bear the silence that fell over the camp General Janazain spoke.

"You have been proven to be a grisha in hiding and a traitor. For this you will be executed."

His words sent a chill through my body. I knew this was coming. I knew he showed no mercy. I thought my power would protect me. Not that it would be the reason I would die.