2.4 | shoot to thrill

NICK    J .    FURY
director of  shield

AGENT PHIL COULSON
fury's         right         eye

AGENT MARIA HILL
fury's        left        eye

somewhere in the skies of north america .
may 2012 .

     THE HELICARRIER CONTROL ROOM WAS BATHED IN NATURAL LIGHT AS THE BRILLIANT BLUE EXPANSE OF THE SKY POURED IN FROM THE WALL OF WINDOWS. Diane had to say, she was fairly impressed by the size of the entire flying compound.

     She had been sitting at the large conference table since they arrived and she took the time to update everyone back in Wakanda on her sudden situation. The only thing she kept to herself was Steve's emergence from the ice. That was something she decided was best to tell them in person. She looked up just as Dr. Bruce Banner got up from his seat to approach her. "Hello, Dr. Banner," she greeted warmly, getting to her feet.

     "H– Hi..." he replied awkwardly before holding out his hand and shaking hers. "I, uh, just figured I should introduce myself. Dr. Bruce Banner, but... you already... knew that, huh?"

     "Diane Freeman," she introduced herself with her hands clasped behind her back. Sensing his awkwardness, she continued, "And of course, I know who you are. You've got quite the resume, might I add. Fury briefed me on everything yesterday. They said we would be working together... along with Tony Stark."

     "Right. I-I was told that you're, um..."

     She half-smiled. "'Enchanced' is what they're calling it, yes."

     Fury approached the two of them. He held his hand out to Bruce. "Doctor. Thank you for coming."

     "Thanks for asking nicely," he replied, shaking the man's hand. "So, how long am I staying?" he asked, sheepishly.

     "Once we get our hands on the Tesseract, you're in the wind."

     "Where are you with that?"

     Fury gestured to the lower level where Coulson was managing the agent stations. "We're sweeping every wirelessly accessible camera on the planet. Cellphones, laptops... If it's connected to a satellite, it's eyes and ears for us." Diane kept quiet, but she knew how Steve was feeling about their tactics already, if not from his expression alone.

     "That's still not gonna find them in time," Natasha added in.

     "You have to narrow your field. How many spectrometers do you have access to?"

     "How many are there?"

     "Call every lab you know," Bruce informed them, becoming more confident as he removed his jacket. "Tell them to put the spectrometers on the roof and calibrate them for gamma rays. I'll rough out a tracking algorithm and basic cluster recognition. At least we could rule out a few places." Fury gave him a nod of understanding and rarely expressed respect.

     "Cosmic rays," Diane finally cut in.

     "I'm sorry?"

     "They should be calibrated for cosmic rays instead. We want to find the Tesseract as fast as possible, this is the way. I mean 50 joules of the strongest cosmic ray is nothing compared to what the Tesseract outputs. So that means whoever's equipment overloads first is our winner. Stark, S.H.I.E.L.D., whoever can foot the bill." The men stared in silence. "What? Did you think I was just going to be a lab rat with a pretty face while I'm here? Cosmic rays, Doctor! Trust me."