Chapter 3: Celebration Part 1

After my awesome hugs, from Alpha Bryan aka Mr. Lumberjack Teddy Bear, I attempted to leave my room. That didn't go as planned. Mr. Polk saw me. And with a frown and a raised eyebrow, did that twirly thing with his finger and pointed at my door. In essence " go back to your room and rest". With a dramatic huff and an eyeroll, I trudged back inside and lay on my bed. Soon after, sleep washed over me in the quiet.

Apparently, I slept the rest of the day, because when I woke it was just after sunset. Dark sky with that tinge of blue and red on the horizon. I heard music in the distance. Okay now, I'm curious. I opened the door to my room and was met with a tall man in a lab coat, Mr. Polk.

" Ah, Artemis. I was about to check on you. Bryan was curious if you could join the festivities."

I arched a brow and tilted my head curiously. He guided me back to my bed where I sat as he did his check up.

" What festivities? Is that where the music is coming from?"

He didn't stop, when he answered. Just kept going with the exam.

" Ah, I suppose you haven't been to one. When a pack member turns 18, we have a party. It's like a coming of age cermony. This party is special, though, all unmated pack members will attend, to see if their mate is the new adult wolf."

He finished the exam, but continued to speak and I listened. This was interesting stuff.

" Honestly though, we only have this celebration two times a year, because its more cost efficient and partying once or twice a month in a pack our size is, well, ridiculous.
Anyway, your concussion seems to have remedied itself with rest, so I say you can attend if you want to."

I twitched my nose and tapped my pointer finger against my lips. I was thinking, well kinda.

" Hey, Lolo. Whatcha think? Should we go?"

I heard a grunt in my head as he thought about it.

" I have always wanted to search for our mate, but to protect us, I chose not too. If you are okay with it, Artie, I think we should go. "

" What if they reject us because we are different, Lo?"

" It is a risk we must take if we want be whole, Artie."

Mr. Polk must have noticed my indecision because he stood and outstretched his hand to me.

" If it makes you feel any better, I am going too. Bryan also thought this celebration could count as your welcome home party."

The idea of a party to welcome me to the pack, got me all bubbly inside. Granted that's probably the most childish reponse, ever, but I kinda like it. Being alone for the past 8 years has kinda changed my view of home and family. I had believed I would never have either. Now, I have been given a chance to have a home. And maybe one day a family, if they could accept that I was different than other wolves.

I decided. I will go and maybe make friends, even if I don't meet our mate.
Apollo gave me a purr of approval that boosted my confidence. Taking Mr. Polks' hand I lifted myself off the bed and stood in front of him.

" By the way, when I'm not working I'm just Zane, okay."

I chuckled and nodded following him out into the hallway and to what appeared to be his office. He draped his lab coat over the back of his chair and point to a table with clothes on it.

" Some of the female pack members thought you might want a change of clothes. There are a few outfits, chosen by our Luna, on the table. She thought, out of the clothes donated, those would suit you best."

Arching an eyebrow at him, I walked to the table and scanned over the clothes. Wow, their Luna is good. I didn't understand, but she nailed my general taste in clothing to a tee. That's some skill she's got. Shaking my head, I glanced at Zane, who had walked into his adjoined bathroom, to get dressed, most likely.

" I know your probably confused, but don't ask. I've got no idea how Ariel does it. She always been good at it, though. Maybe it's cuz she's so good at seeing what's on the inside."

I chuckled as he hollered from behind the closed door. Then, decided I might as well pick one. She did go through the effort. Decisions, decisions.

Alright, lets see. Option 1: Purple off the shoulder top with black, flower embroidered, jean shorts. Option 2: Black tank with anime print on it, and black skinny jeans with checkered pockets. or Option 3: Black rock band t-shirt and black faded bootcut jeans with some holes in them.

I thought about it a moment. You know what. I grabbed the anime tank and the holey jeans, plus a pair of converse that was sitting there. I noticed a ziplock bag with my jewelry in it. Zane likely took it off when he cast my arm.

I slipped out of my old tank top, it was ripped anyway. Luckily my bra was fine, but there was a sports bra and some undies on the table, so I put them on too. When I was done, I was dressed in all black, with my silver bangles on one wrist. My silver and turquoise cuff on the other. A really old silver wolf head locket, that was my mother's, around my neck. And a single silver dreamcatcher earring dangling from my left ear.

I frowned a minute, searching the table for something...Aha found it. A brush. I bet my hair looked like roadkill.

" Hey Zane, when your done in there..."

I turned around and right as I was gonna ask, he walked out the bathroom, in blue jeans and a Nirvana t-shirt. His hair had that kinda casual windblown look, and draped into is face a bit. I chuckled as he stratched the back of his head, all adorably nervous-like. When he was dressed like this he looked about my age, maybe alittle older.

" Not bad, Doc. I'm gonna slide in and borrow your mirror for a sec."

He laughed as I gave him a thumbs up and walked past him into the bathroom to do my hair.

" It's Zane, Artemis. And just cuz I'm a doctor, doesn't mean I'm an uptight jerk, ya know. I'm probably not much older than you, anyhow."

I brushed all the knots out and braided it off the the side, so it draped over my left shoulder.

" Sorry, Zane. Just givin' ya crap. Well, I'm 21, almost 22. And I'm gonna guess, your what, 24, 25-ish?"

I left my white part of my hair drape over the right side of my face, per usual. Perfect.

" Not a bad guess, I just turned 24, acouple weeks ago."

I exited the bathroom and gave Zane a prize winning smile, which he in turn laughed at.

" Alright, Cinderella. Let's get ya to the ball."

I laughed and followed behind him. The music got louder as we exited the infirmary and walked into a really big...house...mansion. Ya know what, one thing at a time, Artie. Through what looked like the living room was an  archway with french doors, opened wide. I could hear the music, the chatter, and smelt grilled vension, barbeque, and fish. But ironically enough the only thing that went through my mind was...

...They have a pool! An enormous pool!

Alright, so I decided to split this chapter into 2 parts, cuz I got absorbed and made it pretty long. So, tonight or tomorrow, I should post the next part of the chapter.
Enjoy!