Chapter 6- The unexpected

Her eyes were cold as she regarded him. Did she really hear him correctly? She looked at his young handsome face, the alpha having passed down his good looks to his arrogant son, and wondered if she could take him. How dare he lie about something that had to do with her dead family. Because she was certain that what he was saying to her was a lie. There was just no way anything he was telling the truth. 

With narrowed eyes she addressed what he said.

"You still havent answered about the bag" she paused as her eyes darted to the bag in question, quickly remembering her mother's teared stained eyes as she handed it to Daxon. "How did you get it?"

The Leonard followed the trail of her eyes and then looked back at her.

"Your parents, Christie and Blake, recovered it." He finally said and watched as she stiffened in her seat. Cory remembered briefly a mention of the bag a long time ago as she sat at this very office but had brushed it aside as only a small child would. 

"Where?" She asked quietly, emotionlessly even as an array of feelings churned deep in her gut. 

"On your brother's dead body." He answered mechanically. Cory almost wanted to cringe at the his words, hoping that maybe that wasn't exactly what happened but knew that from the look in his eyes that it was the truth. 

"So my parents left a will in there?" She asked as she folded her hands on her lap. The Alpha nodded as he produced a blood stained document from a folder atop his desk. He leaned forward in his desk and handed it to her. Cory didn't have the desire to take it from him but once again held her discomfort in check as she took the bloodied paper from his outstretched hand. The document itself looked legal enough yet simple. Something that could easily be read through and understood from all parties. 

Cory was reluctant to read it but at the look of encourgement in Alpha Leonard's eyes she gripped the paper in both hands and let her eyes scan the paper. It started off slowly but once the terms were laid out in front of her in black and white Cory's eyes betrayed her schock. She didn't even fully finish it before her shocked expression met Leonard's solemn one full on.

"Is this foreal?" She asked uncandidly. She sounded like Layla when she heard a particularly juicy piece of gossip at school but she didn't care. The contents of this will were beyond believable. 

"Yes it's 'foreal'" Leonard replied, almost letting his amused smirk free but schooled his features because what they were discussing was very very serious. He brought a hand to forehead and tried to ease the tension there. 

"Is this even legal?" Cory couldn't help but ask.

"Yes" Leonard sighed and took his hand away from his face to look at her square on. "I had one of the pack take a look into the legality of it. He takes care of things of this nature." 

"You mean Bill?" Cory asked already guessing that her question was answered with a affirmative. Bill was an older man and highly regarded in the pack because he took care of any and all legal problems within the pack. His requirements ranged from land ownership to any trouble with the human world outside of the pack. Every pack had someone like him, someone that could make mistakes made by the young, or even old members, disappear. Alpha Leonard nodded his head yes.

"He said that because your deseased father was Alpha and because you are the last known survivor that all the things on that paper belong to you." 

Cory was flabbergasted. No amount of training could have prepared her for this and she didn't know how to handle it. She looked down at the paper re-read the lines once again before leaning towards the desk and placing the blood stained document onto the wooden top.