Chapter 3: The Family Dinner.

Start from the beginning

After 3 hours of long drive and imagining the possible conclusions of how this would end, I finally arrive at my parents house. It's simply brown shaded with white panes around the clear windows that gives away a comfortable aura. The surroundings remind me of my childhood, the wide carpet of plush green grass adorning the beauty of the house and the classic old swing nearby, the narrow roof connecting my window which paved the door for teenage parties, all filling my head with buzzing peaceful vibes that brings out a couple of sweet memories.

Just as I park my car and reach the concrete porch, I hear the hustling and bustling sounds from the indoors of feet rushing for the door. The very moment the door opens, I smile at the sight of my nephews.

Zac and Luke.

They are both adorable 6 year old twins with blond hair. Zac gets his gray eyes from his father while Luke is a complete replica of my cousin with forest green eyes, as soon as they get the sight of me they launch themselves towards me grinning and yelling. "How are my boys?" I ask while holding on to both of them in each of my arms and walking into the living room, but before I could even get through...

"So... late again, aren't we?"

The person none other than my father interrupts. He's quite a grumpy old man for a person in his mid sixties. With salt and pepper hair, rod-like stiff spine, tall stature that cast an over looming shadow, calculating look in his hard eyes, it's almost impossible not to get intimidated with a man of his poise. I get my emerald green eyes from him which I hate to admit, compliment my looks well.

"I was caught up in the traffic" I decide to end it with a simple answer. "Always the one to have excuses" he mutters.

"Well I didn't have to give excuses if you could just stop being annoying for once" I say while putting the kids down, who as if on cue run straight to the bedroom.

"Don't you, use that tone with me Jace" he snaps, pupils dilated with the surrounding green almost turning a shade closer to black, his accusing finger pointed at me.

"It's enough both of you!" comes in the soft yet firm voice of my mom, from the kitchen, I suppose. "Jace that's not the way to speak to your father, apologize right away"

"But..." she cuts me off as she comes in wearing a black apron around her powder blue skirt, clipped hair loose around her shoulders as her unyielding gaze sets on me. "No ifs and but's with me, apologize NOW" she emphasizes the word 'now' as a sign that I'm not getting away with this without apologizing.

"OK fine, I'm sorry" I say attempting to not drag this further more than necessary. "And Josh enough with all this, let the boy catch a breath first" she glares at my father, who as usual looks unaffected as his eyes zero on me.

"Jace you get to your room, I'll call you and the boys when the dinner is set" she says with a tone of authority in her voice. And I couldn't help but feel a bit of remorse.

My room is placed up, onto the left so that I could get a full view of the garden below. Upon entering my room, I take in the sight of all the things that had been here, looking just the way I left them, possibly even neater. To the right is my shelf which consists books, audio cossets and posters, to the left is my Pacman which was the only reason I got to have friends in this neighborhood when we moved in here.

Further more there stood a plain white canvas surrounded by a number of acrylic paints. I'd been painting since before I could even hold a pencil, and always being the messy one, I used to scatter them all across my room. Finally, there's the painting from when I was twelve on the wall above my headrest. Taking a full view of my room I discover that this room isn't just four walls, it holds a huge part of me.