"Are you okay?" I moved to her in concern.

"I'm fine." She snapped at me.

I flinched back.

She must have realized she was too harsh and that she ruined her chance to take the olive branch because she said,

"Damn it," softly before plopping on the floor right where she stood.

She wiped her face where sweat and tears mixed together.

I outstretched my hand and handed her my water. She looked up at me with teary eyes before slowly taking it.

"I thought you hated me now," She opened the bottle and took a large drink.

"I don't hate you Jade; I could never hate you. I'm just, frustrated with you." I sat next to her.

"I love you," she said so low I almost didn't hear.

"I'm with Darleen now, we are happy together. I feel like we really have something now, I don't want to mess that up."

Jade sniffled and wiped more tears that silently fell.

For a moment we just sat there in silence. I grabbed my water bottle off the floor where Jade had set it and stood up with a stretch.

"Where are you going?" she quickly got up.

"I'm going to finish my run; you should go home."

She flung herself onto me from behind. My heart jumped inside of me. Knock it off I want to say to it. Stupid heart, it was trying to get me hurt. I grabbed Jade's hands and tried to pry them away, but her grip was like iron, she refused to let go.

"Jade."

"You can run as fast as you want, I won't give up. I'll win you over, I'll do everything I can to get your attention. I mean it."

I tried to pull free, walking one step with great effort, still, she did not let go.

"Jade," I said again this time more irritated.

"No. Don't leave me, don't ever do that to me again. Never," She buried her head into my back.

"You still don't get it."

"Tell me! How can I fix something if you won't tell me how!"

"I shouldn't have to tell you, Jade!" I yanked myself free.

"Skylar,"

"It's obvious! You say you love me but all you can do is talk about yourself. About your pain, about your needs, well what about me!? Do you think that was easy for me? Do you think I wanted to do that? You're selfish, you used me, you don't care about me, not like Darleen does. All you care about is yourself, making yourself feel better. What about me... you never, not a single time, asked me what I wanted," I backed away from her.

I could see the realization dawn on her face. As if it all suddenly clicked. Finally, I wanted to say out loud. I let out a frustrated huff and swallowed down my tears before turning and running away from her. Let her ponder on that for a while, let her realize just how much damage she's caused me. How much pain I am really in.

I ran all the way to Darleen's big house. Her car was parked in the driveway. It was still fairly early so I wonder if she is even awake. Then again, I am literally dripping sweat and my clothes are sticking to me, do I really want her to see me like this? Before I can ponder too long the front door opens and out steps her mom. She meets my eyes and makes a face of surprise.

"Oh, you scared me." she laughs it off.

"Sorry, I just realized how early it is. Darleen's probably still asleep. I'll just go home." I back away.