Chapter Thirty Seven

Start from the beginning

"I actually have some exciting news and I know I should wait to tell you until I tell Newt, but I just need to tell somebody. Specifically a girlfriend." Eleanor whispered the last part. 

"Well come on then! Spit it out!" Bunty encouraged. 

"I'm pregnant!" She squealed and Bunty's smile widened larger than Eleanor thought it could. 

"Oh Eleanor! That is wonderful! Congratulations! When did you find out?" She asked. 

"Just now actually, I just got back from the doctors!" She said and they sat in the kitchen and chatted about what it was going to be like with a baby in the house, if she was thinking about names yet, and most importantly her weird cravings. Eventually it came to an end when Eleanor had to leave and head out to grab her portkey. She informed Bunty on what was going on with the creatures and set off. 

Eleanor apparated to Greenwich and located the crooked old building on Bennet Grove. She walked in and made her way into the living area where nothing except a stuffed teddy bear lay on the ground. Bracing herself for the awful, gut wrenching feeling she was about to endure, she closed her eyes, hugged the bear, and felt herself spin into oblivion. She surprisingly landed on her feet this time in a back alley of New York City, somewhere she probably didn't want to stay for too long. 

She dropped the bear on the ground and headed out towards the busy street. Newt would be here in about six hours, so she began walking to god knows where. People here seemed to be in a rush and honestly seemed rather rude. She knew she had to start at MACUSA to try and find Queenie; she also knew MACUSA was located downtown in the Woolworth building. 

She looked up and around her trying to recognize any of New York famous buildings when she spotted the Flatiron building. She began to walk down Broadway towards East 22nd St. and continued onto Union Square West. She stopped to grab a hot dog and turned left onto 15th St. She started getting a little tired and stopped to rest on a bench. Five hours until Newt got to New York, she thought. She missed him terribly and had no idea how to tell him about her little secret. 

She continued right back onto Broadway for another mile and finally reached Park Place and saw the Woolworth building in the distance. She paced herself as she walked quickly to the building and entered inside. This was so much different from the Ministry back home and she really didn't know where to go from here. She carried on over to a front desk and waited behind a man to be helped. When it was her turn, she stepped up and greeted the woman. 

"Hello there, I was wondering if you could tell me if Queenie Goldstein works here?" Eleanor asked the lady and she smile back. 

"She works here, secretary work." She replied. 

"Could you tell me where she might be?" Eleanor asked her. 

"Take that elevator to the 22nd floor, you'll most likely find her in the cafe making coffees." The woman said and Eleanor did just that. She took the elevator up and began searching for a cafe.  Eventually, she came across a room with a coffee maker in it and figured this is what the woman meant. Behind the counter stood a tall woman with short, blonde hair. She spun around and gasped. 

"Queenie? Is that you?" Eleanor asked hoping she would recognize her. 

"Eleanor Baker? It can't be you, can it? Oh my merlin it is you!" Queenie squealed and came out from around the counter. 

"What are you doing here in New York? Oh my you look wonderful!" Queenie exclaimed trying not to get too ahead of yourself and read Eleanor's mind, but as usual she couldn't help it. Eleanor remembered Queenie's unusual gift of legilimency and she didn't try to hide anything from her friend. Perhaps she could help in the long run. "I see... an obscurial? In New York?"

"Yes... That's why we're really here." Eleanor admitted. 

"We?" Queenie asked, but answered her own question. "Oh Ellie you met someone! You're engaged and pregnant! Oh, but he doesn't know yet, huh?"

"I almost forgot how impossible it is to hide things from you." Eleanor giggled and hugged her old friend. "It truly is great to see you. How's Tina?"

"Tina is... well she's still Tina." Queenie replied. She knew Eleanor and Tina had left on bad terms the last time they saw each other.

When they were kids, before going to school, Eleanor traveled to America with her mother and father to help out with the diricawl situation. That's when she had met the Goldsteins. Her and Queenie instantly hit it off and became really great friends. Tina always seemed to be jealous of their relationship and constantly tried to make up rumors about Eleanor to make Queenie stop liking her. Of course, none of it ever worked since Queenie knew when Tina was lying. 

When Queenie and Tina's parents passed away from dragon pox, Eleanor and her family came back to America for the funeral and made sure the girls were settling alright with their caretaker. When she had seen the girls, they were different. Sadder, of course, but it was like all of their happiness was drained from them and they hadn't seen sunlight in years. Tina didn't say a word to her, but Queenie clung to Eleanor and cried her heart out. When Eleanor and her family were about to leave America, Tina lashed out at Eleanor and blamed her for her parents death in front of a group of people. Not understanding where she was coming from with this, Eleanor had just apologized and left without another word. She and Queenie wrote to each other for years after that, but stopped after Eleanor's parents passed away. Queenie had sent the last letter, apologizing for parent's deaths and that she wished she could have made the funeral.

Eleanor still wasn't sure where the hate from Tina came from, but hopefully now they were adults, it would subside and they could finally be friends.