• 43 • college, choices, and convincing

Začít od začátku

"Liz, I-"

"I know you have worries and responsibilities. But if anything Muriel tells me is true, you have been taking care of other people your entire life. When will you start living for yourself?"

That question was one Anne had asked herself over and over. Her childhood was stolen from her. Was her freedom gone already? She always dreamed of fantastical adventures. How was she supposed to go on those journeys with responsibilities at home?

How can I leave Marilla?

"You don't understand," Anne felt a lump in her throat, "I can't leave. I can't leave her behind. It's selfish."

Liz put her hand up in protest, "Anne, prioritizing yourself isn't selfish. These people want to see you thrive. Let's be honest, you can't do that in Charlottetown. You know that."

"But we can't afford-"

"Yes you can." Liz interrupted again, "I want you to let me give you the same scholarship I gave Maggie."

"What?" Anne suddenly couldn't breathe.

"You heard me. Let me help you."

"I can't accept something so generous."

"You can. Choose yourself. For once." Liz insisted.

"I can't do this right now. I have to talk to Gil- my friend. I have to talk to him." Anne stuttered.

She needed to talk to Gilbert. He would understand. He knows her.

Liz sighed and nodded, "Write to me when you decide, please. It's the only thing I ask."

"I will...I promise."

Anne turned on her heels and exited the classroom before Liz could say another word.

Maggie stood in the hall. She had an idea of what transpired in the room next to her, but Anne's dismayed expression threw her off.

"Are you okay?" She put her hand on Anne's shoulder in a lame attempt to comfort her.

"Yes," Anne blinked hard and grasped all the energy she lost, "Where next?"

Maggie was entirely suspicious, but decided it was a problem for later, "My dorm. We have a busy day tomorrow."

--

"I expect you read chapters 30-32 by Monday." Dr. Brenker announced to the class as they were packing up, "Just because the semester is almost over does not mean your learning concludes."

Gilbert grabbed his suitcase, the one he hadn't gotten a chance to put away since the train, and walked bravely up to Dr. Brenker.

"Yes, Mr. Blythe?" He was eye-level with Gilbert, but exuded a taller and much more dominant energy.

"Why should I come here?" Gilbert asked, mustering all of his courage.

"Excuse me?"

"I have a choice between here and The...another school. Why should I come here?"

Dr. Brenker seemed offended, "It's not my job to convince you to come here."

"Actually," Gilbert countered, "I think it is. You allowed me into your class today. You must have some vested interest in my studies."

Gilbert didn't know where his sharpness came from. Probably from the same place that encouraged him to tell Anne how he felt...multiple times.

"I took interest in you because I saw your scores and your hometown. Very rarely do we get a country boy who wants to be a doctor, let alone someone so gifted."