𝐘𝐞𝐚𝐫 5࿐⋆home is where the heart is⋆

Start from the beginning

A picture behind them gave a particularly loud grunting snore, and a cool voice said, "Ah. . . Harry Potter. . . Y/N Diggory. . ."

Phineas Nigellus gave a long yawn, stretching his arms as he surveyed Harry and Y/N out of shrewd, narrow eyes.

"And what brings you both here in the early hours of the morning?" said Phineas eventually. "This office is supposed to be barred to all but the rightful Headmaster. Or has Dumbledore sent you here? Oh, don't tell me. . ." He gave another shuddering yawn. "Another message for my worthless great-great-grandson?"

"No," said Y/N, trying not to laugh at how he called Sirius 'worthless'. "Dumbledore sent us here for something else."

A few more of the portraits had stirred now.

"I hope this means," said the corpulent, red-nosed wizard who hung on the wall behind the Headmaster's desk, "that Dumbledore will soon be back among us?"

The wizard was surveying them with great interest. Harry and Y/N nodded.

"Oh good," said the wizard. "It has been very dull without him, very dull indeed."

He settled himself on the throne-like chair on which he had been painted and smiled benignly upon Harry and Y/N.

"Dumbledore thinks very highly of you two, as I am sure you know," he said comfortably. "Oh yes. Holds you both in great esteem."

"How was it when Umbridge was here?" Y/N asked him curiously, as though he was merely just an old friend.

"Oh we wouldn't know," said the wizard, a few other portraits gave small laughs, "the gargoyle refuses to move to anyone but the rightful headmaster or headmistress. She never set a foot inside this office after Dumbledore left."

All the portraits laughed appreciatively, Harry and Y/N joined them. Harry looked through the window. There was a cool line of pale green along the horizon: dawn was approaching.

The empty fireplace burst into emerald green flame, making Harry and Y/N jump, staring at the man spinning inside the grate. As Dumbledore's tall form unfolded itself from the fire, the wizards and witches on the surrounding walls jerked awake, many of them giving cries of welcome.

"Thank you," said Dumbledore softly. He walked around his desk and sat down. "Harry, Y/N, please sit down."

Harry and Y/N obeyed immediately and took the seats facing Dumbledore's desk.

"You will be pleased to hear that none of your fellow students are going to suffer lasting damage from the night's events," said Dumbledore. "Madam Pomfrey is patching everybody up. Nymphadora Tonks may need to spend a little time in St. Mungo's, but it seems she will make a full recovery."

"That's good," said Harry.

He was sure all the portraits around the room were listening closely to every word Dumbledore spoke, wondering where Dumbledore, Y/N, and Harry had been, and why there had been injuries.

"Before we begin," said Dumbledore, searching inside his robes, "I believe I have something that belongs to you, Y/N."

He took something out of his robes and placed it on the table. Y/N almost fainted in relief.

"My- my locket!"

She grabbed the gold necklace from the table and opened the heart locket. It was indeed Cedric's gift. Two toddlers were kissing their two fingers and linking them with each other, smiling broadly at the camera.

"How-? I thought I lost it-?"

"You should thank Mr. Diggory for that," said Dumbledore. "Rigel claimed he went back to the prophecy room when he noticed the absence of the locket on your neck."