𝐘𝐞𝐚𝐫 3࿐⋆new teachers and tea leaves⋆

"Are you telling me that Harry needs glasses for his inner eye too?"

────⍣☆☾☼✧☼☽☆⍣────

✰𝕐/ℕ'𝕤 ℙ𝕆𝕍✰

"What's taking so long?" I asked Ron impatiently, tapping my feet on the ground.

Professor McGonagall called Harry and Hermione to her office as soon as we got into the castle and they still haven't returned.

"Dunno... D'you think they're in trouble?"

"I should be asking you that!" I snapped. "I wasn't with you guys during the train ride, remember?"

"Nothing happened! Except, y'know, Harry-"

Before he could finish his sentence, Harry and Hermione silently walked into the hall and toward the Gryffindor table. Harry sat beside me while Hermione took the seat beside Ron.

"What was all that about?" Ron muttered to Harry.

Harry started to explain in a whisper, but at that moment the headmaster stood up to speak, and he broke off.

"Welcome!" said Dumbledore, the candlelight shimmering on his beard. "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast... "

"As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business."

"They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds," Dumbledore continued, "and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises- or even Invisibility Cloaks," he added blandly, and Harry and I glanced at each other.

"It is not in the nature of a dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I, therefore, warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the prefects, and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure that no student runs afoul of the dementors," he said.

"On a happier note," he continued, "I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year."

"First, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

Excuse me, what?

My eyes widened as I looked at the teachers table, and there he was, sitting with the other teachers.

Professor Lupin.

It can't be. No. How could it be? No, it can't.

I immediately looked up at the Hufflepuff table and saw Cedric already looking at me, with wide eyes and an utterly bewildered expression similar to mine on his face.