CHAPTER 5 - "BLUE EYES"

"Sam. Genevieve. I've heard a lot about you. I'm Dr. Raynor. I'm James's therapist."

Genevieve looked up from her lap, giving the woman a once-over. She gave her an attempted smile as she stood beside Sam.

"So nice to meet you. Thank you for getting him out," Sam said, shaking Dr. Raynor's hand.

"That was not me."

"Christina! It's great to see you again!"

Genevieve let out an audible groan of annoyance, causing people to look at her. She rolled her eyes as none other than John Walker made his way towards them, still donning his Captain America suit and shield.

Genevieve scoffed, her jaw tightening as she observed the somewhat smug smile on his face as he revealed that Bucky's court-mandated therapy sessions were no longer necessary, thanks to him.

"He's too valuable of an asset to have tied up," John stated, causing Sam to immediately move Genevieve backwards gently, knowing she was only one wrong step from punching John in the face.

"Oh, so is he an object now?" Genevieve snarled, her lip curling sinisterly. But John was already walking away, his fingers sending the three a wave. Genevieve cursed under her breath, shoving her hands into the pockets of her jacket.

"James, condition of your release, session now. You too, Sam. And you, Genevieve."

Genevieve gave the therapist a blank look, clearly unamused that she had to sit in on a therapy session. Clint Barton's wife, Laura, had attempted to get her a therapist, but she refused, saying that she really didn't need one.

 Clint Barton's wife, Laura, had attempted to get her a therapist, but she refused, saying that she really didn't need one

Against her will, Genevieve sat in between Sam and Bucky, her face completely void of emotion.

"So, who would like to start?" Dr. Raynor questioned, folding her hands over her notebook. Genevieve remained silent, simply tilting her head in annoyance. As Sam started speaking, Genevieve shifted her gaze towards Bucky, who looked just as annoyed as her. But there was something in his expression that felt sad. He looked upset and lost in his own thoughts.

"So, who wants to go first?"

All three members of the trio stared blankly at the therapist, not making a sound.

"No volunteers? Wow, how surprising," Dr. Raynor stated sarcastically, "Okay. We're going to do an exercise. It's something I use with couples when they are trying to figure out what kind of life they want to build together. Are you familiar with the miracle question?"

"Absolutely not."

"Of course not."

"No."

"Okay, it goes like this. Suppose that while you're sleeping, a miracle occurs. When you wake up, what is something that would make your life better?" Dr. Raynor asked.

As Bucky immediately started to answer snarkily, Genevieve's thoughts drifted to a memory of Steve.

The soft glow of the morning sun shone through Genevieve's window, falling gracefully onto her resting figure. She let out a slight hum as her eyes fluttered open. They were met with a familiar pair of blue eyes. Genevieve smiled as she felt a soft, warm hand rub her back slowly.