Chapter 7. October Meetings - 9 Months Ago

Comenzar desde el principio

"A-Yuan," Wei Ying says slowly, drawing out the syllables, grey eyes intent. "What did I tell you about leaving Xian Ge Ge?"

The child, A-Yuan, holds Wei Ying's leg and looks at him guilelessly. Wei Ying tuts and pats his head. "You scared me. No running off."

"A-Yuan bad." The child says mournfully, those soulful eyes distressed.

Wei Ying melts and Lan Zhan realizes that pout that still does things to him. "Just don't do it again," Wei Ying ruffles A-Yuan's hair and swings his little hand making A-Yuan smile again. "If you want go somewhere, ask me first, okay?"

"Wei Ying? You know this child?" Lan Zhan asks confused, if enthralled by how adorable A-Yuan is and how perfect Wei Ying looks as a parent.

Wei Ying looks at him speechless for a few seconds and and Lan Zhan waits disturbed by this reaction. He looks back down at the child and then says brightly, "He's mine. My son."

The world collides with shock and explodes, then drops out beneath his feet. He stares at Wei Ying, a hundred different possibilities emerging and each one is more painful than the last.

Thankfully Wei Ying smiles ruefully at this point and says, "Or he will be, officially next month!"

"Next month?" Lan Zhan repeats, tilting his head slightly.

Wei Ying nods, "Come to the tea-house Lan Zhan. I'll tell you about it?" Wei Ying offers and those grey eyes are so beguiling and its been so long...

 I'll tell you about it?" Wei Ying offers and those grey eyes are so beguiling and its been so long

The child as it turns out is Wen Yuan, the only nephew of the 'deceased' Wen siblings.

He wonders as he pours tea and wine for Wei Ying who is chattering happily, to him and to A-Yuan, helping him with his spoon,- which folder might contain some information about this child's parents. 

Wen Ruohan had been slowly wiping out the Da Fan Wen clan for around twenty years and about the same time as their tragic death, Wen Qing's primary relatives had all but disappeared. At the time this had been worrying, because from the night he had helped Jiang Yanli, he had known that the Wen siblings were in hiding.

At least now he knows where they are. Though it is shocking that Wei Ying has them hiding in Yunmeng and presumably, considering they are publicly dating, Jiang Cheng must support this idea.

For how long have the Jiang siblings been helping Wen Qing smuggle her family into safety?

From that phon ecall that night, Wen Qing was relieved that Jiang Yanli was safe and talked about dying with them had she known...

It was a disturbing thought, but he never doubted Wei Ying's sense of right and wrong, his bravery or his deviousness.

Wei Ying tells him a low tight voice that Wen Qing had told him that Wen Chao had murdered her cousin and his wife, leaving A-Yuan in the care of his grandmother. There is grief and pain in Wei Ying's expressive grey eyes and Lan Zhan's heart bleeds for him.