❥ here, with you

The steam of tea hits his face as his nostrils take in the sweet aroma of ginger. He smiles to himself, admiring his creations laid out in the kitchen.

Kei wiped his sweat at the base of his forehead with his palm, careful not to graze his skin or hair with his sticky fingers stained with bread crumbs flour and a stripe of egg yolk. With hands laid out on the apron, he confirms his completion.

He leans to the sink to wash his hands but not without reciting the things he needed to bring to Kyoto.

Ginger tea. Tonkatsu. Rice. What else, what else..

"Oh! The coleslaw!" He took him and his skin to the fridge, picking out the coleslaw. He had it all planned out. With two prepared bentos, he settled the rice into its own side with the Katsu on top. Nice and pretty, he thinks. Now for the coleslaw and the macaroni salad in their own small cubicles. He'd make sure not to forget the dressing, of course. The tea will be put in a flask and voila! He was ready.

He hopes to god she likes the food. Though it's been common for Kei to experiment and cook for her once a week, he still gets that tense fear that she will not like his cooking. But he's been lucky thus far, to get her approval.

Tonkatsu is not so hard to make so perhaps she'll enjoy it. As for the green tea, that's for another matter. Mai developed a sore throat and part of Kei, blames himself. How she got it? Well, you won't hear him say it aloud. Though every time he thinks of the reason, a blush blooms across his face. Yeah, definitely his fault.

The dishes pile up into the sink and when he sees its towering sight, he makes a mental note to wash them all when he returns.

'It's not like the others use the kitchen so much.' He mentally shrugged before deciding on putting the food into the picnic basket and as he looked for the red plaid blanket, someone walks behind him.

"Huh. Where is it?"

"Looking for this?"

He practically jumped at her voice. He turned his heel and with a relieved sigh, his shoulders jolted happily at the sight of the blanket. She holds it out to him and he grabs it from her. Hesitant at first, looking at Nobara before tucking it to the basket.

"Thanks. Heh, I was worried. I thought I lost it."

"I'm sure you were." Monotone and cold. It leaves him stunned, eyes sewn in confusion when his friend passes by him to reach for some cereal in the fridge.

He's not sure what to call Nobara now. Since being with Mai, she makes it impossible for them to spend quality time together. He tries to mend it, inviting her to a game or having the four friends come together. She never wants to be around him, with the exception of missions. But without teamwork, it worsens the missions and Gojo has even spoke to her. Still, nothing.

He swallows a gulp and he wants to say something. He bites his lip.

'Don't say anything. Don't say anything.'

He spuns around, now looking at her.

'Alright, never mind.'

"Is this how it's going to be now, Nobara?"

"What are you talking about?" Still having back turn, as she reaches for oat milk and making another pass it him to reach a clean bowl. "Wow, you're really going to leave this mess here?" She points out the pile.

"I'm going to clean them when I come back. I'm going to Kyoto."

"Oh." No eye contact, whatsoever. She pulls the spoon to her lips. "I wonder why."