❥ after care

She lets out a single whimper and the whole room went into chaos. Momo was the first to scream before receding to the exit, calling out for Kei to return. Miwa observed Mai writhing in bed as the third-year pops her head out of the doorway.

"Hey, Kei! She's awake, so come back!" Kei did not hesitate to obey her order and got into the room like there was no tomorrow. Mai's eyes cracked open and was welcomed by a blind light. She began to blink very slowly and noticed she was in the infirmary.

"Oh Mai.." His hopeful sigh turns to a fit of laughter filled with happiness. He's relieved to see she's turning awake. His heart is beating rapidly as her monitor.

"H-How long have I been out?"

"Most of last night and this morning. It's barely the afternoon, actually."

Thank goodness she wasn't out for so long, she thought longly. She closed her eyes briefly out of content before plopping her head back into the pillow.

"How are you feeling, Mai?" The girls began to ask. Mai blinked at that and looked down at her lap for a moment. She didn't feel anything, at least not yet she thought. She tries to straighten herself up. Fearing she'll feel a sharp sensation to her sides, she ended up letting out a happy smile to see that wasn't the case.

"Like..I never was injured in the first place."

All three all relaxed and they exchanged solace looks before Kei decides to grab onto her hand tightly. Momo gasped under her breath and Miwa stared with big eyes. The two became flustered and took steps back.

"I'm so glad you're okay. I was so worried. I feared that you would not wake up."

"It's my fault for charging in like that."

"That doesn't matter. What matters is that you're safe and sound. Just try to take it easy, please?"

She simply nodded before turning flustered around the face as he began to adjust her to a comfortable position. He propped the pillow up straight and pulled the covers upwards as if she was a child. But it felt nice, she thought.

Her mind became occupied for a moment over the brief flashes running in her head. The images replaying of Kei cutting down the demon with the sadist look in his eyes. It was nowhere near the same he had when he fought Getou.

"Kei.." She knew her throat hurt but she had to ask.

"W-What happened back there?"

"Back there?" He tilted in head, completely oblivious over the question.

"Y-You were acting strange that day. As if you were possessed by a mad man. I-"

Could barely recognize you then.

She saw him gulp and his jaw tighten. The hands over her crawl away from her skin and start to twirl around the sheets beneath her.

"I-I don't know..it all just happened. When I saw that he had you, something in my blood began to boil. My curse energy was burning like fire. I-It felt I had no control at first until you began to call my name." He frowned to himself. She felt bad now as she scanned his features. His voice was genuine and instantly, she knew he was telling the truth. He was just as clueless as her.