𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 34: 𝐻𝑜𝑝𝑒

Start from the beginning

"I'm ready to forgive you." I said. My words made his face light up. He jumped up and wrapped his arms around me in a huge embrace. I was confused for a moment, but soon wrapped my arms around him as well.

"God, I love you, y/n..."

His words made me freeze. I pulled away from the hug and looked at him with wide eyes. "What did just you say..."

He looked at me, confused. It looked as if he was searching his memories to figure out the words that just slipped out of his mouth. Then, his face turned into a face of realization. His eyes widened and his jaw dropped.

"Uhm, no, I- I didn't mean- I just meant that-" he stuttered. I continued to stare at him with wide eyes, while his words replayed in my head. "I meant to say it in a friendly way..."

"You know.. 'I love you, friend!'" He said, as he waved his hands around and chuckled nervously. I sighed in relief and raised my hand up to my chest. "Well, in that case..."

"I love you too, friend." I smiled. He sighed in relief as well and smiled. We embraced each other again.

I asked him if he'd seen Eli anywhere, but he said he didn't. I was starting to get worried about Eli. What if he got hurt too? What if he's in trouble somewhere? No. Eli's tough. He's probably alright.

In the mean time, I'll keep looking at my hospital room door, hoping and praying Eli will appear.

Not too long after Demitri left the hospital, another unexpected person came in. The man had familiar blond hair, and multiple cuts and bruises planted all around his face.

It was sensei.

He stood in the doorway, as we stared at each other awkwardly for a moment. Eventually, I decided to speak up. "My uncle would kill us both if he knew you were here right now..."

"Yeah, well... I could probably take him." Sensei joked, making me let out a small laugh. "It looks like you already got your ass beat... what happened?" I asked.

"Eh, nothing too major. Just ran into a couple of pricks at the bar." He said, as he scratched the back of his head. Then, it went silent between the both of us again. Sensei had stepped into the room, and taken a seat in a chair that sat across the room.

"So, uh, how're you holding up?" Sensei asked. "I'm doing alright." I responded. We both nodded slightly. "What's the damage?" He asked, referring to my injuries. "Eh, nothing too major." I chuckled, repeating his statement from a few moments ago. He let out a small laugh, then went silent.

"I don't blame you for what happened, you know..." I said, breaking the awkward silence. "No, it's all my fault." He said, putting his head in his hands. "I'm so sorry this happened to you, kid."

I sighed. "I'm fine, Sensei. None of this is your fault." I said. He lowered his hands again and looked up at me. "But it is." He said quickly. "If it weren't for me, you and Miguel wouldn't be in this hospital right now."

"Sure, we might not have been in the hospital... but we would've been getting our asses beat by bullies every other day." I said. "You taught us to defend ourselves! We could've been in a much rougher place if you hadn't helped us." I continued.

He shook his head. "Miguel would say the same thing." I added once more. Then, another awkward silence filled the room.

"I hope he's alright..."