Chapter 5

Updesh adored the chubby toddler cluttered with toys. He rubbed his thumb over her face and his eyes twinkled, shimmering with an unknown emotion. First time in his life, he thought that he should’ve kids who look just as adorable as her. 

“She's one angel. So beautiful and so cute.” He whispered in awe and matched Nidhi's proud eyes. He could see motherly love in them and strange contentment engulfed him. “Can I make a request?”

“Sure!”

“Will you allow me to meet her? Just once only.” he stipulated.

Nidhi grew silent, blinking a few times to decide what to answer. He was a total stranger though he knew most of the things none knew about her but she couldn't trust him with…

“It's okay. You just have to say no. I won't mind. We already don't know each other well. Really, alright.” Updesh said, good-naturedly and passed her phone. 

She thought for a moment before clearing her throat, “It's nothing like that. I don't stay in Delhi actually. Came Hungary for an innovators summit. I live in Mumbai. There wasn’t any direct flight scheduled, so I had to board this one. I don’t know… how to… I mean, I don’t know your number and you also don’t have a permanent address, of course.”

She said to add little humor in the serious tangent conversation. It was turning overwhelming for her, she had just met him and he was already looking forward to seeing her more often maybe. But, he wasn't an opportunist and it was clearly written on his face if one had not heard his thoughts. 

“Is that the only worry?” Updesh asked, quipping an eyebrow and she shrugged. He inhaled, fishing out a fountain pen and grabbed his soft palm to scrawl his phone number on it. “Well, I am leaving for Delhi. This is my phone number if you change your mind and decide to meet me, you can reach me through this. My mother lives in Vasant Vihar and that is going to be my temporary address as of now.”

“You’ll meet her?” Nidhi whooped and Updesh chuckled at her expense, nodding his head to confirm. “Yes, I will be staying with her this time and the credit goes to you. You got me thinking and made me change my mind in a few minutes.”

“Uh, I would say hours.” She corrected him, tilting her chin at his wrist watch. He followed her line of vision and was surprised to see that they'd continuously chatted for four straight hours and he didn’t even realize the passing time. 

Generally, a conversation would only interest him for thirty minutes - hardly an hour if the subject is beneficial - and he spent four hours with her without getting bored was astonishing. He didn’t even conversed with Kanika for so long. It could be recorded as his maximum engaged activity after adventurous, hardcore sports. 

“I didn't even realize the time.” He confessed and she teetered, “I know, I'm a chatterbox. Time passes by and people won't realize because I bite their heads off.”

“Now, don't be so hard on yourself. You’ve just begun to annoy me.” He played along and she faked a frown before they both howled in laughter together.

“So, meet you there. In Delhi.” He prompted and she whooshed out a calculative sigh, “Okay. I'll contact you.” 

He passed her a genuine smile, “Thanks. I'm looking forward to meeting your beautiful angel.”

Nidhi really felt ecstatic that he was so keen to meet her daughter before he clicked his fingers, “Actually, why don't you come to my sister's engagement? You’ll get a reason to come to Delhi and you can also meet her. She's a sweetheart. I am sure you'll like her and I'll get to spend more time with angel.”