Wattpad Original
Mayroong 1 pang libreng parte

Chapter 4: Sentinel Building

The men's faces looked like stone, cold and uninviting. They approached us with long strides of their boots scratching the uneven ground. Santi held my hand in his in a tight grip. I could tell we were in deep trouble.

"Who are they?" I whispered.

"Gatekeepers from the sentinel building. They guard the borders and force fields surrounding the town."

One of them faced Santi and sighed heavily. "Sinasabi ko nga ba."

Santi gave a sly smirk, trying to act unbothered. "Long time no see, Officer."

Bumaling ang gatekeeper sa 'kin. "At mukhang nagdala ka pa ng kasama."

Nawala ang mapanudyong ngiti sa labi ni Santi. "Sinundan niya lang ako rito," Santi answered, blatantly lying. "She's just a nosy school mate who tried to talk me out of my plan."

Napailing ang gatekeeper. "Hindi mo talaga alam ang limitasyon mo, McCrain."

Something wrapped around Santi's wrist, like a thick thread made of yellow light. The same thing appeared around my wrist like handcuffs, forcing my hands together in a tight knot. I bit my lip, silently wincing in pain. These things were hot, like coal.

"Kailangan n'yong sumama sa sentinel building."

There was a shift in the surrounding, like a mild earthquake. The ground trembled below my feet and I had to shut my eyes from the dizziness. When I opened them again, I found myself in front of the horrendous building near a cliff.

Hinila ako ng isa sa mga gatekeeper and the other one dragged Santi.

"I won't treat her roughly if I were you," Santi told the gatekeeper. "You don't want to mess with the assemblyman's daughter, do you?" ngiti niya.

Nagsalubong ang kilay ng dalawa bago kami hinila papasok sa building. Inside were howling voices, echoing, like we were in a tunnel. May mga kumakalampag ng rehas, begging, crying for help. There were several gatekeepers around us, but they said nothing. Their faces remained steel cold.

Hindi ko magawang lumingon kay Santi. Shivers ran down my back, making my knees tremble. We approached what seemed to be their information office. "Pangalan," the gatekeeper barked at me like a drill sergeant.

Wala akong maisagot. I didn't want to own the name, but it seemed it was the only way to save both of us from this place. "Olivia...Valencourt."

After they confirmed my identity to the officer on the phone, the cuffs faded from my hands. I waited for Santi's to do the same, but his hands remained shackled.

"You're supposed to free him too," I told them.

"Ms. Valencourt, we have protocols we need to follow, and Mr. McCrain should remain in our custody for breaking the protective field surrounding the town."

"I was the one who did it!" I turned to him, eyes watery with guilt. "Please tell them the truth."

Instead, Santi leaned close to my ear and whispered, "You don't want to mess your perfect records, Valencourt."

They dragged Santi to the dark corridor where the cries and howling came from.

"Send Ms. Valencourt to his father at the assembly," the gatekeeper ordered his companion.

"I was the one who break the field!" I insisted. "It wasn't Santi!"

I was cut off when a blurry light flashed before my eyes. The ground shifted under my feet once again and I knew what was coming. The rumbling was worse this time, and when I opened my eyes, I nearly stumbled on my feet, dazed.

I was no longer inside the horrendous building with howling voices. Instead, everything was silent, almost serene. I steadied myself and roamed my eyes around the unfamiliar place. I was standing on a white marble floor, and above me was a hallowed ceiling supported by white gigantic columns. People walked to and fro, looking crisp and professional in suits and pencil skirts.

Kasama ko pa rin ang gatekeeper nang puntahan kami ng isang babae. She adjusted her dark eyeglasses upon seeing me before turning to the gatekeeper. "Thank you so much for informing us. I will handle it from here."

The gatekeeper gave a low nod before completely disappearing from our sight. It seemed to be the norm in this place, because the lady didn't even falter.

"Ms. Olivia, your father is waiting for you in his office."

Father...ironic how I had a father here but not a single parent in my world.

I was hesitant to go with the lady. But after the mess I did, I was left with barely any choice. We arrived in front of a room with a thick wooden door.

Kumatok ng tatlong beses ang babae bago nagsalita, "Ms. Olivia Valencourt is here." Then she opened the door for me and ushered me inside.

I entered a large office, larger than that of lola's in her mansion. All the furniture was wooden and brown, making the room look dark.

Mula sa tapat ng mataas na bintana, isang tao ang nakatayo rito. He was watching the birds on the windowsill play with each other. He was a big man, and his hands remained clasped behind him nang magsalita siya.

"What were you doing at the border, Olivia?"

His voice reminded me of thunder—booming, almost rattling the floor.

"Tama ba ang balitang nakarating sa 'kin? You were with Santi Yvo?"

He shifted his feet slowly to face me. He looked exactly what I imagined—eyes that lacked emotions, bushy eyebrows, and a patch of beard on his square jaw. His thick hair was like salt and pepper, dark and silver.

"How many times do I have to tell you not to associate yourself with a McCrain?"

Nanatili akong tahimik na nakatayo sa harapan niya. How could I find the right words to say? I wasn't his daughter and I wasn't supposed to be here.

Tumungo siya sa leather chair sa likod ng mahabang mesa.

"I always have to clean after your mess to keep your image, but you always end up disappointing me," he grumbled. "Stay away from troublesome people if you know better."

The secretary suddenly entered the office as if she heard a command. She ushered me out of the room without so much of a goodbye from my so-called father, as though I was just one of his brief meetings or agenda for the day.

"I will have someone drive you back to the academy," offered the secretary.

While waiting at the giant steps outside the white assembly building, I realized how pretentious Olivia's life must be. I thought I came into a fairytale-like place, but Olivia's life didn't seem to be what anyone would dream for.

***

Author's Note:

Hey, guys! How's the story so far? Thank you so much for giving this story a chance. I hope you're enjoying it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

I'd loved to hear your thoughts about the story! Yes, I read all your comments haha! What are your theories? You can also tweet me @breatheapril or use #MirrenAcademy

Your author from a magical world,
April