xi | the disaster that is the brunch.

Start from the beginning

I nod, "Just about done. I'll be down in a second."

"Good."

I spray some perfume on, then grab my purse and open my door. It's a little strange to be walking in heels, even if they are just platforms. I can't even remember the last time I wore heels. Warren is coming out of his room across the hall at the same time, looking slightly more alive than before.

And gosh dang it, even with a stupid hangover he looks great. He must've taken a quick shower after me because his hair is damp and I catch a faint whiff of his cologne. He glares daggers at me, but then his expression changes when he looks over my outfit. My face starts to warm, though I'm not sure why. I can't read the look in his eyes and it scares me a bit.

Without saying a word to each other, we head downstairs to the kitchen. Dad is trying to tie his tie, but is failing miserably. I chuckle, he's never been able to tie his tie correctly.

"Here Daddy, let me help you." I say, going over and moving his hands out of the way.

He sighs and smiles at me, "Thanks, bug. I was never any good at this. Your mother always..." He trails off.

Dad has never been able to tie his tie, so Mom would do it for him. And now that she's gone, I do it for him. Mom taught me. She never told me why exactly, but we both knew it was because Dad is helpless with that kind of stuff and I would have to take care of him without her.

I pat his chest once, his tie in shipshape form, and turn around before he notices my misty eyes. Charlotte and John enter, Sawyer behind them complaining about having to wear nice clothes. John's tie matches Charlotte's pretty blue floral dress.

"Why do I have to wear a tie but Warren doesn't?" Sawyer asks in a whining tone.

Warren ruffles Sawyer's hair, "Because I'm older, little bro."

"Everyone ready? Great, let's go."

We can't all fit in one car, so Dad and I follow behind the Prestons in our car. I'm feeling great about this whole brunch thing, thinking maybe it won't be bad at all, maybe I'll even have fun, but my raising hopes fall the minute I see the place this meal will take.

Oh good God.

I've never seen a hotel this nice or big. It's a monster of carefully groomed gardens and sparkling fountains, which is only the front of the huge building. The building itself isn't very tall, only about four or five stories, but it's sprawling and is bigger than all three school buildings combined at Clearwater.

I am not prepared for this kind of brunch. I don't even know if I'm dressed properly! Oh God, oh God, oh God.

We go up the drive and pull around to the front doors, where there's practically an army of valets waiting to open our doors and take the keys to the car. Dad and I glance at each other and I can tell he's trying not to laugh.

That's it. As soon as I step foot into this place, I'm going to be struck down for having the audacity to be somewhere that is more expensive than my life. We follow behind the Prestons through the huge double doors, which are held open by doormen of course, and go straight through the lavish lobby. John seems to know where he's going.

"Dad, does John own this hotel?" I ask as we head down a long hallway and past a lounge area.

Dad is looking around like I am, hands in his pant pockets, and says, "Hmm, no I don't think so. This is the Hamilton Inn, owned by Thomas Fox. He inherited this hotel from his late grandfather. That's who he's meeting today. You see, bug, Thomas never actually wanted the hotel, so this brunch is about John trying to sell Thomas on signing the hotel over to him." Hmm, why does that name sound familiar? I can't quite put a finger on it.