chapter thirteen ; you again?

AMOS

"You've been doing well so far," Dr. Wang nodded. "The other physicians seem to think so as well. You need a little bit more experience but obviously you'll be getting plenty here. Make sure you look after yourself as well. I know as doctors we tend to prioritize looking after everybody else but your health matters too."

"Thank you, doctor," I said with a grateful grin. "I'll make sure to get enough rest today. Please look after your health as well." 

He responded with a nod and a wide grin before turning and walking away. So far, my time at the hospital seemed to be going well. I was communicating well with my patients, seniors and fellow residents. I had also managed to make a few friends in the workplace and went to get coffee with a few of them during our break. 

After my shift was over, Alex had insisted on going back to that bar we had gone to a month prior. It had been a whole month since I had started working as a resident doctor. Time surely flies when you're not paying too much attention to it. 

"Where's the bartender?" Alex complained with a huff before spotting a staff member in the corner. He waved for the man to come over and asked for a shot of beer for himself and just a glass of water for me.

"I'll drink responsibly this time, okay?" he promised, hitting his shot glass gently against my cup before downing it in one go and letting out a relaxed sigh. 

"I have to pee," I confessed. "I'll be back."

Truthfully, I didn't have to pee. I just wanted to make sure I didn't look like a complete mess. This time, thankfully, I'd brought a spare change of clothes. Though my attire was extremely casual, I doubted anyone would dress up to go to a bar on a Friday night.

I pushed the door to the washroom open and made my way over to the mirror to check if I had any unpleasant marks on my face or any food stuck in between my teeth, when the door to the toilet stall opposite to the mirror I was facing and out stepped the devil himself.

"Doctor Amos?" he questioned with a surprised chuckle. "Funny seeing you here.. again. This is where we first met, isn't it?"

"It's been a while," I nodded. 

"So it has," he agreed, making his way over to me before washing his hands at the sink. "How have you been, doctor?"

I watched as he dried his hands off with a paper towel before making his way over to the trashcan behind him to throw it away. He then proceeded to shove both his hands into his pockets and turn around so that he was facing me completely.

"I've been good, why are you here?" I asked. "I thought I asked you to cut down on alcohol."

"Why are you here then?" he retorted with a smug grin, tilting his head to the side challengingly.

"I don't drink, I just got myself a glass of water," I said, shooting him a look of indifference. "You know, you should really listen to what your doctor tells you to do."

"Outside the workplace, you're not really my doctor," he joked.

"What am I then?" I pushed, placing my hands on my hips like a mother confronting her child. 

"The love of my life," he responded with a wink.

"Mr. Davis, I'm your doctor," I said, repeating what I had said the first time he had attempted to flirt with me.

"Sounds like something the love of my life would say," he continued, that smug look never leaving his face.

"Funny how you were calling me doctor a moment ago," I fired back, disregarding what he had just said before shoving my phone into my pocket and turning around. "I'll be going now then, it was nice catching up with you."

I didn't give him a chance to respond and simply walked out of the restroom to tend to Alex who seemed to be frustrated.

"What's wrong?" I inquired after having taken my seat beside him.

"Don't know where the damn bartender went," he complained, pouting like a toddler. "The other dude just walked into some room in the back and never showed up again. He asked me to wait for the bartender but he isn't here yet."

"Sorry I'm late," a familiar voice said. "What would you like to have?"

My head shot up at the speed of light, "Micah?"